Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wikipedia not working?

1. Aug 25, 2011 #1

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

For the last 48 hours I've struggled to get onto wikipedia. Every other website works fine for me except wiki, my browser just sits there loading for minutes! Sometimes it works but most of the time I get an "Oops!" message. Is this happening to anyone else? It's frustrating considering how much I (and many threads in PF) rely on wikipedia for reference. I think this best sums up how I feel

extended_mind.png

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2011 #2

Ryan_m_b

Ok, I'm pretty sure it's just me because I can get on with a proxy server. :cry: Anyone have any suggestions about how to fix it??

4. Aug 25, 2011 #3
    Strange, I've been on it quite a bit this evening without issue (from Aus). Not sure where the host would be though.

5. Aug 25, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Wiki worls fine with me...

6. Aug 25, 2011 #5

Ryan_m_b

Yeah it's definitely me. Balls.

7. Aug 25, 2011 #6
    Sounds to me like you might have an infection. Have you been engaging in usafe, unprotected relations on the open internet? Oh Ryan, and I thought you were a good boy.

8. Aug 25, 2011 #7

Evo

Did you try rebooting? Or, close your browser, clear your cache, then retry. If that doesn't work, repeat but also clear cookies, and restart. Usually one of these will fix the problem.

9. Aug 25, 2011 #8

Borek

In case problems persist, consult your Doc. Please remember we can't give medical advice at PF.

10. Aug 25, 2011 #9
    Wiki has never worked reliably for me.

11. Aug 25, 2011 #10

Ryan_m_b

Didn't work :frown: I'll keep messing around.

12. Aug 25, 2011 #11

Evo

Wow, they've blacklisted your IP?

13. Aug 25, 2011 #12

Ryan_m_b

Looks like it. Annoyingly I live in accommodation that provides Wireless internet for everyone in the building so one of them must have got us all blacklisted. Bugger. On the plus side I can still get through on proxies and my tenancy only has a month left.

14. Aug 26, 2011 #13

Ryan_m_b

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Yay fixed it with the time honoured method of turning it off, going to sleep and trying again in the morning! My IQ is back :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook