PF Wikipedians: How Often Do You Contribute to Wikipedia?

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation reveals that some individuals contribute to Wikipedia by editing articles occasionally, usually once or twice a month, with a focus on specific topics such as motorcycles. Others are avid readers of Wikipedia and make minor contributions, while some have authored articles in the past. There is also a discussion about the initial perception of Wikipedia's editing process and the surprise at the amount of accurate information it contains despite being unsupervised.
Mk
How many of you contribute to Wikipedia?

How frequently?

Physics news on Phys.org
I only edit the occasional article. Have never authored one wholly.

I usually edit an article once or twice a month depending on how much I go to the site. Most of the stuff I deal with is motorcycle related though, not science.

When I first heard anyone could "edit" it, I thought it had to mean subject to the website's moderation. I figured you'd submit a suggested improvement, they'd look it over, and publish it or not. The thought that anyone could just write anything they wanted, unsupervised, seemed pretty ludicrous. Given that that latter turned out to be the actual case, I'm kind of amazed at how much good information it actually does contain.

Very occationally some edits if come across whatever interesting, 1-2/month.

I am a wikipedia junkie. I read it all the time and make minor contributions occassionally.

I did the HCCI article on Wikipedia a few months back. That and a few edits here and there. Thats about it.

I don't work for free.

Whenever I see a typo, I correct it. That's about it though. I probably edit a page every few days and when studying for history or doing a project, I correct tons.

1. How often do you contribute to Wikipedia?

I contribute to Wikipedia on a regular basis, usually multiple times a week. I try to contribute at least a few times a month, but it really depends on my schedule and availability.

2. Why do you contribute to Wikipedia?

I contribute to Wikipedia because I believe in the value of sharing knowledge and information with others. I also enjoy the collaborative nature of Wikipedia and the opportunity to learn from others while contributing my own expertise.

3. How do you decide what topics to contribute to?

I usually contribute to topics that I am knowledgeable about or have a personal interest in. I also take into consideration the current needs of Wikipedia and try to contribute to areas that may be lacking in information or sources.

4. How much time do you spend contributing to Wikipedia?

The amount of time I spend contributing to Wikipedia varies depending on the complexity of the topic and the amount of research and writing required. On average, I would say I spend around 1-2 hours per contribution.

5. Do you have any tips for someone who wants to start contributing to Wikipedia?

My advice for someone who wants to start contributing to Wikipedia is to do your research and make sure you are providing accurate and reliable information. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help or feedback from other experienced Wikipedians. It's important to follow Wikipedia's guidelines and be open to constructive criticism in order to make valuable contributions to the site.