Will a solenoid inside another solenoid increase its strength?

In summary, placing a solenoid inside another solenoid can increase the overall strength of the magnetic field, but only if they are connected in series/parallel-aiding fashion. This is due to the superposition of effects, where the magnetic inductions add vectorially. However, the increase in field strength may be limited due to the highly non-linear nature of iron and its saturation point. The world's strongest magnet, with a field strength of 45 T, uses hybrid technology with two coils nested inside each other.
Matt01
Will placing a solenoid inside another solenoid increase it's over all strength?

While doing research into solenoids I came across the MagLab (The National High Magnetic Field Laboratory) where they place coils one inside another to bolster the field, and reach upwards of 45 Tesla. They use an air core, high number of turns, and 30 mw to achieve this.
(Note: I know that no material can achieve any way near 45 Tesla. looking to increase the field strength of realistically week fields. )
My question is, can the same be done for iron cores?
Example:
All aspects of the cores will be the same except the Diameters and internal geometry/volume.

Length of 12 inches/304.8mm

300 turns

relative permeability of the core is 5000

.2 amp

1 Tesla let's say will be the max field strength.

The first rod has a diameter of 2 inches/50.8mm

with wiring and insulation it's total diameter is 2.5 inches/64 mm

The second iron rod has a diameter of 4.5 inches/114.3mm

From the center of the second we remove 2.5 inches/ 64mm and bore straight though the iron rod essentially creating a pipe so we can place the first solenoid inside the second one. The length has not increased both are still 12 inches/304.8mm. There would be a very small amount of air the the field would pass though due to the second solenoid occupying the space.

Could this method work in increasing the field strength from 1 Tesla to 2 Tesla?
Would there be any increase in the strength of the combined solenoids?
Is there a way to determine what the increase would be if there is one?
(Note: Wondering what the strength would be at the end face if it would reach 2 tesla.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Matt01 said:
Will placing a solenoid inside another solenoid increase it's over all strength?
Yes, but only if they are connected in series/parallel-aiding fashion.

Last edited:
What do you know about the superposition principle?

Nothing. I received another message and I'll share it with you citing the superposition principle. I am getting ready to dive into it.

"The short answer to your question is that you can increase
7_69e3966668f4dabe833bedf0903ccb0c.png
but not for the reasons you think. If you put a solenoid inside another solenoid and you apply Ampere's law, you will find that the magnetic inductions add vectorially. The effect is known as "superposition of effects"."

So i found this while looking into the superposition principle:

The question is since one is inside the other, would I still need to take into account the vectors or does the math simplify to B total = B1+B2?

The fields inside nested air-core solenoids add. Iron is highly nonlinear and once it reaches saturation, gains are small. (1T is far beyond iron's saturation induction.) So yes, field strength increases, but no, it's not simple superposition.

Likes Charles Link

1. How does a solenoid inside another solenoid affect its strength?

The strength of a solenoid inside another solenoid is increased due to the combined magnetic fields created by the two solenoids. This results in a stronger overall magnetic force.

2. Will the size of the outer solenoid affect the strength of the inner solenoid?

Yes, the size of the outer solenoid can affect the strength of the inner solenoid. A larger outer solenoid will have a stronger magnetic field, which will in turn increase the strength of the inner solenoid.

3. Is there a limit to how many solenoids can be stacked inside each other?

There is no specific limit to the number of solenoids that can be stacked inside each other. However, as more solenoids are added, the overall strength may reach a plateau where adding more solenoids does not significantly increase the strength.

4. How does the length of the solenoids affect their combined strength?

The length of the solenoids does not have a significant effect on the combined strength. As long as the solenoids are aligned and layered properly, the length will not greatly impact the strength of the combined magnetic field.

5. Can a solenoid inside another solenoid be used for any practical applications?

Yes, the use of solenoids inside each other can be beneficial in various applications such as electromagnets, speakers, and motors. The increased strength of the combined magnetic field can provide greater force and efficiency in these devices.