1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will an objects velocity be impacted if it is being pushed with one pound of force?

1. Jul 27, 2009 #1
    An object is pushed with one pound of force by person A. This causes the object to move 3 miles per hour.

Person B then pushes the object with one pound of force also. Will the object move at 6 miles per hour?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Re: Will an objects velocity be impacted if it is being pushed with one pound of forc

What are your thoughts on the matter? :)

This problem is poorly worded, just so you know.

4. Jul 27, 2009 #3
    Re: Will an objects velocity be impacted if it is being pushed with one pound of forc

I originally thought that it would move at 6 miles per hour, but through trial and error I can see that it will move only 3 miles per hour. I just wanted to get a confirmation.

5. Jul 27, 2009 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does Newton's Second Law ring a bell?

6. Jul 27, 2009 #5

I suggest you calculate something. To answer your question: You're wrong.

7. Jul 27, 2009 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What is the relationship between force and acceleration and velocity?

Again, this problem is poorly worded as time is important in this question.

8. Jul 27, 2009 #7

Well, I just launched a rocket. Each rocket engine put out six pounds of force. There were four rocket engines. The rocket weighed 5 pounds. If four lit off at the same time, then there should have been 24 pounds of upward force. All four went off at the same time. The only problem is that the rocket did not get off of the launch pad.

When i did the math I added the amount of impulse. Each rocket produced 20 n/s of force. Since i had four going off at the same time, I did 4 x 20 = 80 n/s of force. However, thsi amount of force was not enoguh. It seems as if even though four rocket engiens went off at the same time, only one rocket engine would have gotten the job done in the same way.

9. Jul 27, 2009 #8

By your post, I take it your in high school. I would advise you to record your experiments and report them and we can help you. I think you will learn more by trial and error than us showing you equations right now. Just don't blow your fingers off.

10. Jul 27, 2009 #9

I HAVE ALREADY LEARNED FROM TRIAL AND ERROR. I am just here to confirm my results! Please answer my question!

11. Jul 27, 2009 #10

What exactly is wrong?

12. Jul 27, 2009 #11

Why would you ask us to confirm the results of your experiment? That doesn't make any sense. You should spend more time recording down the variables of what's involved in what you're doing.

Do you have any background in physics?

13. Jul 27, 2009 #12

If anybody can confirm my results for the sake of CONFIRMATION please let me know.

14. Jul 27, 2009 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

How can we confirm your results when you don't answer our questions?

For one, Force isn't in N/s so what you told us was meaningless. How does your original question have anything to do with your experiment? Velocity and force are two different things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook