Will atomized kerosene ignite?

• Thread starter guss
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of atomized kerosene with a proper stoichiometric ratio in an environment of 1-2 atm and 15-45º C, and whether it can ignite via a spark/plasma arc. There is also mention of using this technique to start a jet engine and the potential efficiency of using multiple micro atomizers.
guss
Will atomized kerosene (that is, kerosene as mist in air), with a proper stoichiometric ratio in an environment of 1-2 atm and 15-45º C, ignite via a spark/plasma arc?

I know kerosene generally has to be in a warm environment to ignite, but I am trying to figure out a way to get around that (if you have any ideas, please let me know).

Thanks a lot!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yep. Blew up a house that way when I was a kid. Made a great fuel air bomb, but I was too young to understand what one of those was at the time.

You do not need a stoichiometric ratio because burning happens on the surface of each atomized droplet. This is why you can run a diesel engine with fuel/air mixtures far less than stoichiometric, since diesel fuel and kerosene are exactly the same thing for the purposes of this discussion. (Not the same thing for other discussions.)

Since gasoline burns as a vapor and not as an atomized mist, that must be near stoichiometric.

Sounds as if your trying to start a jet engine.

My thoughts were similar to Jobrag. When I saw the title of the thread I said to myself: Let's hope so, otherwise there are a lot of jet airplanes in trouble. An electric arc is a very very common way to ignite fuel oil.

Pkruse said:
Yep. Blew up a house that way when I was a kid. Made a great fuel air bomb, but I was too young to understand what one of those was at the time.

You do not need a stoichiometric ratio because burning happens on the surface of each atomized droplet. This is why you can run a diesel engine with fuel/air mixtures far less than stoichiometric, since diesel fuel and kerosene are exactly the same thing for the purposes of this discussion. (Not the same thing for other discussions.)

Since gasoline burns as a vapor and not as an atomized mist, that must be near stoichiometric.

That's interesting, thanks.
Jobrag said:
Sounds as if your trying to start a jet engine.

Yeah. In model jet turbine engines, fuel is, as far as I can tell, always vaporized through tubes inside the combustion chamber. This makes it so that the engine must be hot to run on kerosene (so it's usually started on propane then switched to kerosene), and I believe it's also less efficient. I'm hoping to use 2 or 3 micro atomizers to get the job done, and hopefully I can get it to work.

Last edited:

1. Will atomized kerosene ignite at room temperature?

Yes, atomized kerosene can ignite at room temperature if there is a spark or flame present. This is because kerosene vaporizes easily and can mix with oxygen in the air, creating a flammable mixture.

2. Can atomized kerosene ignite without a spark or flame?

No, atomized kerosene will not ignite without a source of ignition such as a spark or flame. This is because it needs a certain amount of heat to reach its ignition point and a spark or flame provides that heat.

3. What is the ignition point of atomized kerosene?

The ignition point of atomized kerosene is around 220-260 degrees Celsius. This means that it requires this amount of heat to ignite and start a fire.

4. How does atomized kerosene ignite?

Atomized kerosene can ignite when it is exposed to a spark or flame, which provides the necessary heat to reach its ignition point. It can also ignite if it comes into contact with a hot surface, such as a heated metal object.

5. Is atomized kerosene more flammable than liquid kerosene?

Yes, atomized kerosene is more flammable than liquid kerosene. This is because it is in a vapor form and can easily mix with oxygen in the air, creating a highly flammable mixture. Liquid kerosene, on the other hand, is less flammable because it is not in a vapor form and needs to be heated to a higher temperature to become flammable.