Will Genetics Limit My Future Education?

In summary, if you have some mitigating factors (e.g. good grades in previous courses, extenuating circumstances), and are still interested in pursuing a physics/engineering/medical degree, you may be able to do so with a relatively low GPA. However, you will need to demonstrate your dedication and ability to learn quickly through your previous coursework.
DesmondShark
I was born with a myriad of mental issues ranging from psychosocial-immaturity, ADHD, sensitivity to noise and various other factors that correlate closely with Asperger's syndrome. My dad is PhD in Physics with a focus in cryogenics and my mom is a French existentialist artist (weird childhood, trust me). I always had a hard time in school with following through my studies, was often bored with the material and now am finding myself with the personal discipline to actually complete my studies. I have an extreme passion for science and often understand concepts quickly but I am a few years behind in terms of G.P.A and what courses I have completed. I am two years away from a B.S in Nursing and intend on continuing my education.

My question is this, due to a relatively low GPA (3.0) how restricted is my future when I want to pursue higher degrees? What can I do to accelerate the learning process? (my freetime consists of watching khanacademy videos and reading philosophy)... Ultimately, if my GPA is low(ish) could I ever get into a physics/chemistry/engineering/medical program??

-DShark

p.s. what should I focus on if interested in nanomaterials?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't get into a physics/engineering program with a degree in nursing... do you plan on continuing beyond that and getting a BS in a better related field?

You could go through your grades and figure out what GPA you can possibly achieve in the next 2 years. After that, consider what you could realistically achieve, as sort of a minimum point. Knowing that, look back at your previous coursework, and determine if there are any grades eligible for something like grade-forgiveness. 3.0 is by no means "bad", but I understand that a 3.5 is a moderately safe bet to get into a grad program "somewhere", and you should be able to accomplish that considering your 2 years to go?

Edit: This really only applies to engineering/physics professions to the best of my knowledge. I have absolutely no idea how medical school (or similar) works, but I would imagine a research type chemistry degree would be similar to physics in terms of programs.

Yeah I am going to be working towards another degree while nursing full time. I like being busy :P

DesmondShark said:
I was born with a myriad of mental issues ranging from psychosocial-immaturity, ADHD, sensitivity to noise and various other factors that correlate closely with Asperger's syndrome.

My question is this, due to a relatively low GPA (3.0) how restricted is my future when I want to pursue higher degrees?
-DShark

Your "issues" very, very closely resemble mine, right down to the practically unmanageable noise sensitivity...

But I got admitted to a top 20 physics grad program despite my low GPA (3.53). You can do it, too, if you're committed to it.

Feel free to send me a private message if you want to discuss any particulars.

1. Will my genetic makeup affect my ability to learn and retain information?

While genetics can play a role in certain aspects of learning, such as intelligence and memory, it is not the sole determining factor. Your environment, education, and experiences also greatly influence your ability to learn and retain information.

2. Can genetic testing predict my academic success?

No, genetic testing is not a reliable indicator of academic success. While there may be certain genetic markers associated with cognitive abilities, they do not guarantee academic success. Numerous other factors, such as motivation and access to resources, also contribute to academic achievement.

3. Will my genetic predispositions limit my choice of educational path?

Your genetic predispositions do not limit your choice of educational path. While certain genetic variations may make certain subjects or skills more challenging, it is possible to overcome these challenges through hard work, determination, and proper support.

4. Can genetics affect my career choices?

Genetics may influence certain traits or characteristics that can be beneficial for certain careers, such as creativity or problem-solving skills. However, ultimately, your career choices are not limited by your genetics. With dedication and effort, you can pursue any career path you desire.

5. Is there a way to overcome genetic limitations in education?

While genetics can impact certain aspects of education, such as learning disabilities or developmental disorders, it does not mean that these limitations cannot be overcome. Through early intervention, proper support, and accommodations, individuals can overcome genetic limitations and reach their full potential in education.