1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will he break some bones?

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am just wondering because i saw this show (cartoonish) where this guy jumped from an apartment of 7 floors (I say it's about 30m tall?) into the water (for some reason the apartment is build over the ocean).

Here is a picture. I wanted to use spoiler because it is kinda big but doesn't work.

[PLAIN]http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7531/unledvo.jpg [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

The person who jumped was a high school student guy, so I say he weighs about 65kg??

I don't know what is the force necessary to disable his body and break his bones.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2011 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Depending on how the person falls, their bones may not break but I am told that if you jump at a height of around 100 ft (about 30 m), then you are guaranteed to die or break a bone.

4. Jul 5, 2011 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

People can be lucky. I seem to recall one or two parachutists who landed in a field, without their chute opening, yet sustained no broken bones. Falling from a great height into a ridiculously-shallow pool of water (just a few inches depth) is another impressive feat that some manage, and, more impressively, manage repeatedly.

I have heard that the trick to surviving a long fall into still water is to break the surface with something other than your feet--such as throwing a rock to where you will hit just before you make contact so it gets there a brief moment ahead of you and breaks the water surface. Might bear that in mind next time you buy a ticket for air travel over water.... :wink: :wink:

Of course, your diving exhibitionist might be saved broken bones by the titanium rods already piecing his legs together? :smile:

5. Jul 5, 2011 #4
    What happens if your head hits the rock?

The person lands on the water flat on his face and body

6. Jul 5, 2011 #5

NascentOxygen

It won't hurt. The broken neck should see to that, from diving headfirst.

Yes, that's how divers into shallow water aim to fall. Obviously, if you've watched the Olympic divers, diving headfirst into water of less than 4 or 5 metres depth is not worth attempting. Spreading your weight over as great an area as possible appears to be the technique aimed for by the showmen diving into shallow pools.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  7. Jul 5, 2011 #6
    So will you break bones or not!?

8. Jul 5, 2011 #7

NascentOxygen

Unless you are a trained and extensively practised athlete cum stuntman, almost certainly will you break bones. Sudden stops can cause internal damage, such as a ruptured spleen, or ripping the aorta from the heart, etc. Stuff that bed rest alone won't heal. :-)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  9. Jul 5, 2011 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook