Will I have trouble keeping my scholarship?

• Other
  • Thread starter Stephenk53
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scholarship
In summary, for someone who gets good grades without studying, they may struggle in college. Most of the courses you have taken have been CP, and so you may struggle to keep up with the workload. College is harder than high school, and you will need to study to do well.
Stephenk53
I plan on attending Merrimack college, and I got a scholarship for $20,000 a year that requires me to get at least an average of an A-, however in school I usually get A+s on everything except in English I usually get An A. And most of the courses I have taken were CP, and I got those grades easily without needing to study. Most of the people I know have said college is not only different but much harder than high school, which is why I worry about it, So do you think I will have a problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephenk53 said:
So do you think I will have a problem.
Not if you study and apply yourself. Goof off and yeah, you'll have a problem.

Stephenk53 said:
And most of the courses I have taken were CP, and I got those grades easily without needing to study.
CP = college prep?
I don't know much about Merrimack College, but you generally will need to work a lot harder in college than you did in high school. Many students learn the hard way that their study techniques that worked in high school really don't work well in college.

College is harder, yes. You may find English courses in college may seem better than those from high school, and you may do better in them now. ALL of the English courses I had in college were better, for me. Doing well in them comes with maturity. WRITING is a big part of them. YOU learn to write better which usually shows as better grades than what you had in high school. Learning, reading, and understanding Literature is what could be what's hard, but handling that is what comes with maturity and (at least a little more of ) life-experiences.

Stephenk53 said:
I got those grades easily without needing to study.

Here's a major tip. What tends to happen to a lot of students who are successful in high school without having to do a lot of studying is that they start to wear this like a badge of honour. "How smart must I be if I get excellent grades and don't even study?"

In university, you have to study. They cover more material in less time. And the instructors aren't all trained to teach they way high school teachers are.

So start now on developing effective study habits, even if it doesn't seem like you need them. Then when you get to university and you need them they'll be there and you won't have to go through that phase of getting some crappy exam results before scrambling to figure out how to study.

Likes berkeman
Choppy said:
Here's a major tip. What tends to happen to a lot of students who are successful in high school without having to do a lot of studying is that they start to wear this like a badge of honour. "How smart must I be if I get excellent grades and don't even study?"

In university, you have to study. They cover more material in less time. And the instructors aren't all trained to teach they way high school teachers are.

So start now on developing effective study habits, even if it doesn't seem like you need them. Then when you get to university and you need them they'll be there and you won't have to go through that phase of getting some crappy exam results before scrambling to figure out how to study.

Good idea, thanks for all of the advice everyone, I think over the summer to prepare I will pre study for courses I likely will take and that should give me at least some better study habits, until then I will study for my current courses even though I do not currently need to study

2-3 hours preparing outside of class for each class hour and you should do fine. Try and skate by averaging 30-60 minutes outside of class for each class hour and you will have trouble.

1. Will my grades affect my scholarship eligibility?

Yes, maintaining a certain GPA is often a requirement for scholarship renewal. It is important to check the specific requirements of your scholarship program and strive to meet or exceed them.

2. Can I lose my scholarship if I change my major?

It depends on the terms and conditions of your scholarship. Some scholarships may only apply to certain majors, while others may allow for a change in major as long as you meet the GPA requirements.

3. Do I have to reapply for my scholarship each year?

Again, this depends on the scholarship program. Some scholarships are automatically renewed each year as long as you meet the requirements, while others may require a reapplication process.

4. Will my scholarship cover all of my tuition and expenses?

It is important to carefully read the details of your scholarship to determine what expenses it covers. Some scholarships may only cover tuition, while others may also include room and board, textbooks, and other expenses.

5. Can I receive other forms of financial aid in addition to my scholarship?

Yes, in most cases, scholarships can be combined with other forms of financial aid, such as grants, loans, or work-study programs. However, some scholarships may have restrictions on the amount of aid you can receive from other sources, so it is important to check with your scholarship provider.