Doubling Ionization of Tungsten: Effects on Energy?

In summary, if one mole of tungsten atoms is ionized with only one electron removed from each atom and accelerated through one electron volt, the resulting energy would be 96.48 kilojoules. If the same mole of tungsten atoms was doubly ionized with two electrons removed from each atom and accelerated through one electron volt, the energy gained would be twice as much. This is due to the fact that doubling the charge results in twice the kinetic energy gained.
illisil
TL;DR Summary
Ionization and the relationship to kinetic energy
Lets say that i have i mole of tungsten atoms. They are all ionized, only one electron is removed from each atom. If i accelerate this mole of tungsten atoms through one electron volt, i would get 96.48 kj. If the mole of tungsten was doubly ionized, two electrons removed from each atom, and accelerated through one ev, would i get twice the kilojoules?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The short answer is yes.

One persnickety comment: electron volts is a unit of energy. I think you meant one volt of electric potential.

One caveat: it would be cleaner to ask the question about a single atom rather than a mole of atoms. With many charged particles you will have to think about their mutual repulsion, and then the potential would depend on their density. The problem is that at any practical lab scale density of a whole mole of ionized atoms would have mutual repulsion so strong your one volt potential would be completely negligible in comparison. However, I get what you meant.

Even if the potential is dominated by their mutual repulsion, the idea that, given the same initial configuration, twice the charge gives twice the energy is still true. So your idea is still correct. Just, in that case, the 1 volt becomes unimportant.

Anyhow, rephrasing it, a doubly ionized atom falling through one volt of electric potential will gain twice as much kinetic energy as a singly ionized atom falling through the same potential.

Likes nasu and Dale

1. What is the process of doubling ionization of tungsten?

The process of doubling ionization of tungsten involves removing two electrons from a tungsten atom, resulting in a doubly ionized tungsten ion. This can be achieved through various methods such as high-energy collisions or intense laser pulses.

2. What are the effects of doubling ionization of tungsten on energy?

Doubling ionization of tungsten can have significant effects on energy, as it requires a large amount of energy to remove two electrons from an atom. This can result in the emission of high-energy photons or the production of energetic particles.

3. How does doubling ionization of tungsten impact the properties of the material?

Doubling ionization of tungsten can significantly alter the properties of the material. It can change its conductivity, melting point, and other physical and chemical properties. This can have implications in various fields such as materials science, electronics, and energy production.

4. What are the potential applications of doubling ionization of tungsten?

The process of doubling ionization of tungsten has potential applications in fields such as plasma physics, nuclear fusion research, and materials engineering. It can also be used in the production of high-energy particles for medical and industrial purposes.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations in doubling ionization of tungsten?

There are several challenges and limitations in doubling ionization of tungsten. It requires high-energy sources and precise control to achieve, and the resulting high-energy particles can be difficult to contain and manipulate. Additionally, the process can also damage the material and equipment used, making it a costly and complex process.