Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will it bounce?

1. Aug 23, 2012 #1
    How heavy does an object have to be so that it won't bounce when dropped from some height h (I'm guessing it's proportional to h as well as other variables)?

Is the reaction force from the floor what destabilizes it and causes it to bounce? How does the surface area that comes in contact with the floor play a role? What other variables need to be considered?

THanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2012 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not about the weight, but the elasticity of the materials involved.

4. Aug 23, 2012 #3
    I'm assuming that when you say heavier its because its getting bigger, if so then you need to read up on is something called "the square cube law" Basically as something in increases in size its volume increases faster than its surface area and because the scaled up model is made of the same tiny atoms its overall properties change.

If you made a giant one mile radius rubber ball and dropped it on earth its not going to bounce, chances are the shockwave of the impact would tear it apart. It would most likely look like dropping an egg.

5. Aug 24, 2012 #4
    Mmmm, I guess that or it gets denser...

Why is that? Does that have to do with the square cube law you mentioned (I'm about to look it up?). I feel like asking how the shockwaves would tear it apart (basically knocking atoms?) and if it's sound and stuff but I already have another thread going on about sound waves and shock waves lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook