Solving for Rotation in a Force & Torque Equation

In summary, the homework statement states that torque is equal to the product of force and radius of rotation. The rod in the image is seen from above, both forces and the rod are to be considered to be in the horizontal plane. The vertical direction is therefore irrelevant. The rod is lying on a table. If you want to account for gravity, there is another force that you also need to account for...espicially that he is ignoring the weight force of the rod! I knew that I ignored the mass of the rod when he said total force on y= F -F. If there is a mass it should be total force= F-f-mg and so it will rotate!
SakuRERE

Homework Statement

upload_2018-10-23_22-13-12.png

Homework Equations

torque= F*r*sintheta
total force on y= 0

The Attempt at a Solution

how come it will rotate in this situation?? espicially that he is ignoring the weight force of the rod! i knew that i ignored the mass of the rod when he said total force on y= F -F. if there is a mass it should be total force= F-f-mg
and so it will rotate!

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-23_22-13-12.png
    upload_2018-10-23_22-13-12.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 549
Physics news on Phys.org
SakuRERE said:
how come it will rotate in this situation?? espicially that he is ignoring the weight force of the rod! i knew that i ignored the mass of the rod when he said total force on y= F -F. if there is a mass it should be total force= F-f-mg
and so it will rotate!
The rod is lying on a table. If you want to account for gravity, there is another force that you also need to account for...

Likes SakuRERE
SakuRERE said:
espicially that he is ignoring the weight force of the rod!
The rod is flat on the table, the weight is acting perpendicular to the table and is offset by the normal force from the table. The rod in your image is seen from above, both forces and the rod are to be considered to be in the horizontal plane. The vertical direction is therefore irrelevant.

Likes SakuRERE and jbriggs444
jbriggs444 said:
The rod is lying on a table. If you want to account for gravity, there is another force that you also need to account for...
Orodruin said:
The rod is flat on the table, the weight is acting perpendicular to the table and is offset by the normal force from the table. The rod in your image is seen from above, both forces and the rod are to be considered to be in the horizontal plane. The vertical direction is therefore irrelevant.
ohh yeaah, thanks everyone. i didn't focus on that point that is layning in the table!
so okay, i got the idea of the total f is equal to zero by the two forces, but still, why we have a torque? why there is rotation when the two forces are with the same magnitude and opposite to each other. we must have total torque=0 or what?

SakuRERE said:
ohh yeaah, thanks everyone. i didn't focus on that point that is layning in the table!
so okay, i got the idea of the total f is equal to zero by the two forces, but still, why we have a torque? why there is rotation when the two forces are with the same magnitude and opposite to each other. we must have total torque=0 or what?
and regarding the pivot point, i think it's the one who will decide if it will rotate or not, i mean if it was at the center of the rod than there should be not rotation, but if the pivot is not in the center (not mentioned) then the distance of each force to the pivot won't be same so then i would say there rotation. but the one answering the question didn't specify any thing !

The force sum is zero, but the torque is not. This is due to the forces not having the same line of application. If you compute the torque of each force relative to the centre of the rod, you will find that both of the contributions act in the same direction.

Likes SakuRERE
SakuRERE said:
and regarding the pivot point, i think it's the one who will decide if it will rotate or not, i mean if it was at the center of the rod than there should be not rotation, but if the pivot is not in the center (not mentioned) then the distance of each force to the pivot won't be same so then i would say there rotation. but the one answering the question didn't specify any thing !
Your reference point does not matter at all. The way you choose your reference point (which is arbitrary) cannot affect what physically happens to the rod.

Likes SakuRERE and jbriggs444
Orodruin said:
The force sum is zero, but the torque is not. This is due to the forces not having the same line of application. If you compute the torque of each force relative to the centre of the rod, you will find that both of the contributions act in the same direction.
Orodruin said:
Your reference point does not matter at all. The way you choose your reference point (which is arbitrary) cannot affect what physically happens to the rod.
thanks thanks thanks very much sir

1. What is rotation in a force and torque equation?

Rotation in a force and torque equation refers to the movement of an object around a fixed axis or point. It is caused by the application of a force or torque, and can be described using mathematical equations.

2. How do you solve for rotation in a force and torque equation?

To solve for rotation in a force and torque equation, you need to first determine the direction and magnitude of the applied force or torque, as well as the moment of inertia and angular acceleration of the object. Then, you can use the equation: τ = Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration.

3. What is the difference between force and torque in a rotation equation?

Force and torque are both related to rotation, but they are not the same thing. Force is a push or pull on an object, while torque is a twisting force that causes rotation. In a rotation equation, force is usually represented by F and torque by τ.

4. Can you use a force and torque equation to solve for the velocity of a rotating object?

Yes, you can use a force and torque equation to solve for the velocity of a rotating object, as long as you have the necessary variables such as the moment of inertia and angular acceleration. The equation used is v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving for rotation in a force and torque equation?

Solving for rotation in a force and torque equation is important in many fields, including engineering, physics, and biomechanics. It can be used to analyze the movement of objects such as gears, wheels, and pendulums, and is crucial in designing structures and machines that need to rotate smoothly and efficiently.