Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will light bend?

1. Apr 23, 2009 #1
    will light bend when it reach in front of a black hole??????

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Explain more please. I assume you mean "will the path of light bend" but that depends on the situation. If a beam of light is directed either directly toward or directly from a black hole, its path will not bend. If, however, it go past a dark hole, then, as happens any time light passes a mass, its path will bend.

4. Apr 23, 2009 #3

5. Apr 23, 2009 #4

NWH

I was wondering, even though it appears that light bends, is it actually going in a straight line?

6. Apr 23, 2009 #5

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Will light blend? Why yes, yes it does!

Oh, bend... Well, it'll does that too (look up, for instance, gravitational lensing)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  7. Apr 24, 2009 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In a manner of speaking yes. Photons travel on what are celled null geodesics and geodesics are a generalisation straight lines in euclidean space.

8. Apr 27, 2009 #7
    I guess its not the light that bends. It should be the "space" or the path of light that bends in the vicinity of large mass. Light just treads the path ! Gravity itself the result of the tension of "space" due to heavy mass ! This is the essence of relativity !

For latest science stories, technology and gadget updates especially Physics, please log on to my personal science blog site: http://www.spaceboy.in" [Broken]

Regards,
    Space Boy

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook