Will light bend?

• Thread starter johncena
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

will light bend when it reach in front of a black hole??????

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Explain more please. I assume you mean "will the path of light bend" but that depends on the situation. If a beam of light is directed either directly toward or directly from a black hole, its path will not bend. If, however, it go past a dark hole, then, as happens any time light passes a mass, its path will bend.

directly from a black hole said:
If the light was shone directly FROM a black hole wouldn't the light actually bend right back into the black hole since nothing can escape a black hole not even light?

NWH
I was wondering, even though it appears that light bends, is it actually going in a straight line?

MATLABdude
Science Advisor
Will light blend? Why yes, yes it does!

Oh, bend... Well, it'll does that too (look up, for instance, gravitational lensing)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was wondering, even though it appears that light bends, is it actually going in a straight line?
In a manner of speaking yes. Photons travel on what are celled null geodesics and geodesics are a generalisation straight lines in euclidean space.

I guess its not the light that bends. It should be the "space" or the path of light that bends in the vicinity of large mass. Light just treads the path ! Gravity itself the result of the tension of "space" due to heavy mass ! This is the essence of relativity !

For latest science stories, technology and gadget updates especially Physics, please log on to my personal science blog site: http://www.spaceboy.in" [Broken]

Regards,
Space Boy

Last edited by a moderator: