1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will light bend?

1. Apr 23, 2009 #1
    will light bend when it reach in front of a black hole??????

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Explain more please. I assume you mean "will the path of light bend" but that depends on the situation. If a beam of light is directed either directly toward or directly from a black hole, its path will not bend. If, however, it go past a dark hole, then, as happens any time light passes a mass, its path will bend.

4. Apr 23, 2009 #3

5. Apr 23, 2009 #4

NWH

I was wondering, even though it appears that light bends, is it actually going in a straight line?

6. Apr 23, 2009 #5

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Will light blend? Why yes, yes it does!

Oh, bend... Well, it'll does that too (look up, for instance, gravitational lensing)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  7. Apr 24, 2009 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In a manner of speaking yes. Photons travel on what are celled null geodesics and geodesics are a generalisation straight lines in euclidean space.

8. Apr 27, 2009 #7
    I guess its not the light that bends. It should be the "space" or the path of light that bends in the vicinity of large mass. Light just treads the path ! Gravity itself the result of the tension of "space" due to heavy mass ! This is the essence of relativity !

For latest science stories, technology and gadget updates especially Physics, please log on to my personal science blog site: http://www.spaceboy.in" [Broken]

Regards,
    Space Boy

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook