Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will my shirt shrink?

1. Jul 20, 2006 #1
    quickly, before i take my clothes out of the washer. I have a few brand new collared t-shirts. 100% cotton. will they shrink if I put them in the dryer? should I hang them? they've never been washed before.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2006 #2
    Yes, they will shrink.

EDIT: That's all I know :/

4. Jul 20, 2006 #3

nazzard

Gold Member

Thought experiment: If Physics is Phun would climb into the washer along with the clothes, would they shrink at the same rate and as such nullify the effect :confused: :wink:

Regards,

nazzard

5. Jul 20, 2006 #4
    damnit, it's dryer time...ok, i'm just gonna hang these few shirts, to be safe.

6. Jul 20, 2006 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Definitely they will shrink. I hang dry all of my work shirts. If I don't, the sleeves have a habbit of shortening.

7. Jul 20, 2006 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Unless it's pre-shrunk cotton.

8. Jul 20, 2006 #7

Thats what I was thinking. What about if he used "cool dry". Don't know well it works but Ive seen that setting on my dryer before :smile:

9. Jul 20, 2006 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Let's just hope he didn't wash them in hot water, that will cause a lot of shrinkage also.

10. Jul 20, 2006 #9

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

No such beast. If it's cotton...I can shrink it.

11. Jul 20, 2006 #10

wolram

Gold Member

I hand wash my shirts and put them on a hanger driping wet, hang them on the line and do all the buttons up pull any creases out and hey presto no need to iron and no shrinking.

12. Jul 20, 2006 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Me too. :frown: I hang most of my office clothes to dry (I can't just say work clothes, because the stuff I wear to the farm doesn't need such nice treatment). Even stuff that shouldn't shrink manages to do so. But, I also refuse to buy dry clean only stuff...I just don't have the time to run around to dry cleaners...if it can't get thrown into the washer, I don't buy it.

13. Jul 20, 2006 #12

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't have too much trouble with shrinkage.
    Some if its really really cold out :biggrin:

Wolram has the right idea.
    Except I throw it in the dryer for 10 min or so to knock the washer lint off and fluff it out a bit.
    Makes it easier to smooth out.

I hate dry clean only.

14. Jul 20, 2006 #13
    But can we be sure that its not your arms which are growing?:rofl:

15. Jul 21, 2006 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In my case, it seems to wind up being pants legs that get too short, and while I sometimes wish it were a sign I was growing a bit taller, I'm afraid it's just not happening. Of course, I'd also like to blame the dryer for the waist getting smaller too, but I suppose that would only happen in the first few washings. :uhh:

16. Jul 21, 2006 #15

Lisa!

Gold Member

:rofl:
    ""Amazing! You hang something in your closet for a while and it shrinks two sizes! "

17. Jul 21, 2006 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah guys don't like shrinkage

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?