Will object with speed near the speed of light become black holes?

In summary: NOT true than tell me why?See: If you go too fast do you become a black hole?I take it you either did not bother to read, or else did not understand, the explanation given at the link provided.Yes you are true but I am NOT moving with the speed of light relative to my starting location. This is very important. Object can't move faster than speed of light with respect to it's starting position.Can't move faster than light relative to ANY position. So why is the starting position important?Here is a nice trick to resolve such difficult comparisons:Any situation involving a rapidly moving massive body's gravitational effect and a 'stationary' inertial observer can be transformed to an equivalent question about the
propelera
The theory of general relativity predicts that a sufficiently compact mass will deform spacetime to form a black hole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole

and we know that when object travels near the speed of light it gains infinite mass, so does it means that it becomes a black hole?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Travels near the speed of light" relative to what? Speed is always relative to a given observer. Are you saying that wheter or not a star is a black hole depends upon the observer?

I am saying that when object travels near the speed of light (300'000 km/s relative to the point where it started to move), it gains infinite mass (from Einstein's formula E = mc2). So object with infinite mass will become a black hole (wikipedia link in my first post). If it is NOT true than tell me why?

propelera said:
I am saying that when object travels near the speed of light (300'000 km/s relative to the point where it started to move), it gains infinite mass (from Einstein's formula E = mc2). So object with infinite mass will become a black hole (wikipedia link in my first post). If it is NOT true than tell me why?

You yourself, RIGHT NOW, are moving at 99.99999% of the speed of light relative to some frame of reference. Are you a black hole?

CERN would have done it by now if it were that easy :P

phinds said:
You yourself, RIGHT NOW, are moving at 99.99999% of the speed of light relative to some frame of reference. Are you a black hole?

Yes you are true but I am NOT moving with the speed of light relative to my starting location. This is very important. Object can't move faster than speed of light relative to it's starting position.

CERN would have done it by now if it were that easy :P

None is telling you that it is easy

first of all, a black hole does not have infinite mass.

furthermore, anything with a definite rest mass can never reach the speed of light.

photons, with zero rest mass, have a definite momentum.

propelera said:
Yes you are true but I am NOT moving with the speed of light relative to my starting location. This is very important. Object can't move faster than speed of light relative to it's starting position.

I take it you either did not bother to read, or else did not understand, the explanation given at the link provided.

propelera said:

Can't move faster than light relative to ANY position. So why is the starting position important?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a nice trick to resolve such difficult comparisons:

Any situation involving a rapidly moving massive body's gravitational effect and a 'stationary' inertial observer can be transformed to an equivalent question about the interaction between a rapidly moving inertial observer and a 'stationary' massive body.

Your 'starting location', whatever that means is irrelevant, the above works for ALL observers.

The quote above is a generalized statement relating to phinds post:

In addition, your original question:

So object with infinite mass will become a black hole (wikipedia link in my first post). If it is NOT true than tell me why?

is impossible to realize because no mass can travel at speed 'c'...

phinds said:
propelera said:
Yes you are true but I am NOT moving with the speed of light relative to my starting location. This is very important. Object can't move faster than light with respect to it's starting position
Please reconsider phinds' point here. As he said, there are reference frames where you are moving at .9999999 c. Furthermore, your objection is both irrelevant and wrong. It is irrelevant because the speed wrt the starting location is not important in physics and wrong because you can move faster than c away from your starting location in any frame where your starting location is moving. (assuming that by starting location you are thinking of an object rather than a coordinate).

i think no,black holes create when a star dies,in this case there will be no formation of black holes

propelera said:
This has already been explained in several ways, but here's one more try: a black hole is assumed to form when the proper mass (also called rest mass, or just mass) reaches a critical value. Many laws/descriptions are only valid for an object "in rest" and this is one of them.

Indeed initial mass is important here. When an object gaines speed we might say it gaines mass, but only because mass is calculated as force/accelleration. Also the extra mass is only measured in the direction of the moving object. Happily at the LHC the protons become 700 times heavier (at 99.9999*c) to get them around but not heavier relative to earth.
Another remark I like to make is that when an object travels near the speed of light the fysical laws do not change. It does not become smaller or heavier. Only to some external observer it is an object with high kinetic energy and very hard to push any further.

There is no such thing as 'infinite mass', which is why it's impossible for an object with nonzero invariant (rest) mass to accelerate to light speed in the first place. You can't pour unending amounts of energy into a system to make it move at c, because unending amounts of energy don't exist.

Also, only a bit unrelated to your question is bringing the quantum fluctuations of the type associated with virtual particles into the argument. Because, even if an infinite amount of energy could manifest due to such fluctuations (it can't, as far as I know), the energy would have to be 'repaid' to the vacuum within the limit of uncertainty of the measurement, which is a very short interval. In other words, it's not "usable" energy.

Naty1 said:
Your 'starting location', whatever that means is irrelevant, the above works for ALL observers.

Quite right. That's basic SR, which states that "The laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference." It's also an integral part of GR in the (generalized) form of the equivalence principle, which boils down to the postulate that the laws of physics are the same in ALL frames of reference, inertial or not.

1. Will an object traveling at the speed of light automatically become a black hole?

No, an object traveling at the speed of light will not automatically become a black hole. The formation of a black hole depends on the object's mass and the amount of gravitational force it exerts.

2. Can an object with a speed near the speed of light become a black hole?

Yes, it is possible for an object with a speed near the speed of light to become a black hole. This would require an extremely massive and compact object, such as a neutron star or a black hole, to reach such high speeds.

3. How close to the speed of light does an object need to be to potentially become a black hole?

The closer an object gets to the speed of light, the greater its mass and energy become. At around 70% the speed of light, an object's mass and energy would be significant enough to potentially form a black hole.

4. Is there any way to prevent an object from becoming a black hole at high speeds?

No, there is no known way to prevent an object from becoming a black hole at high speeds. The formation of a black hole is a natural consequence of the laws of physics and cannot be avoided.

5. Can an object with a speed near the speed of light exist without becoming a black hole?

Yes, it is possible for an object with a speed near the speed of light to exist without becoming a black hole. This would require the object to have a very low mass and not enough gravitational force to cause the intense curvature of space-time that leads to black hole formation.