What is the maximum speed the car can have to avoid hitting the barrier?

In summary: Then you can compare this new v1 to the maximum speed allowed for the car to stop before the barrier and determine whether or not it would hit the barrier.In summary, a driver going 90km/h sees a barrier 40.0m ahead and applies the brakes 0.75s later with an average acceleration of -10.0m/s2. Using the formula v2^2 = v1^2 + 2a(delta(d)), it is determined that the car will hit the barrier. To find the maximum speed at which the car could be moving and not hit the barrier at 40.0m ahead, the same formula can be used with the additional information that v2 is 0. By solving for v
adamlazz
Hi there, I am a grade 11 student, learning physics.

Homework Statement

A driver of a car going 90km/h suddenly sees the lights of a barrier 40.0 m ahead. It takes the driver 0.75s before he applies the brakes and the average accelleration during braking is -10.0m/s2.
a) Determine whether or not the car hits tha barrier.
b) What is the maximim speed at which the car could be moving and not hit the barrier at 40.0 m ahead? Assume the accelleration does not change.

a) Treat toward the barrier as positive.
v2=0m/s delta(t)= 40
v1=25m/s
a=-10m/s2

I am not quite sure how to do b)

Homework Equations

v2^2 = v1^2 + 2a(delta(d)) <---- a)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already determined that it would take the car 50 m to come to a complete stop, so it would hit the barrier.

I am having trouble with b)

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I could be wrong but you just need to use the same formula again:

v2^2 = v1^2 + 2a(delta(d)) <---- a)

You know d, v2 is 0, and your given acceleration from before

There is only one unknown left, V1.

If you assume the car will stop just before it hits the barrier, you now have a new piece of information you can use in your equations to work out the new v1.

1. Will the car hit the barrier if it maintains its current speed?

It depends on the distance between the car and the barrier, as well as the reaction time and braking ability of the driver. If the distance is short and the driver is unable to brake in time, then the car may hit the barrier.

2. Can the car hit the barrier even if the driver is able to brake in time?

Yes, if the car is traveling at a high speed, it may still hit the barrier even if the driver is able to brake in time. The momentum of the car may cause it to continue forward and collide with the barrier.

3. What factors can increase the likelihood of the car hitting the barrier?

Factors that can increase the likelihood of the car hitting the barrier include high speed, distractions or impairment of the driver, poor road conditions, and malfunctioning brakes or other car components.

4. Is there a way to prevent the car from hitting the barrier?

Yes, the driver can maintain a safe distance from the barrier, drive at a reasonable speed, and remain alert and focused while driving. Regular maintenance and servicing of the car can also help prevent malfunctions that may lead to a collision.

5. What should I do if my car is about to hit a barrier?

The most important thing is to stay calm and try to avoid the collision if possible. If there is enough time, try to steer the car away from the barrier or brake as gently as possible to reduce the impact. If a collision is unavoidable, make sure to brace for impact and call for help afterwards.