1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will there be a collision?

1. Sep 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Speedy sue, driving at 30.0m/s enters a one lane tunnel. She then observes a slow-moving van 155m ahead traveling at 5.00m/s. Sue applied her breaks and accelerates at -2.00 m/s^2. Will there be a collision? If yes, at what distance and what time?

2. Relevant equations
    initial v = 30 m/s
    final v = 0
    a = -2/s^2
    displacement = [(final velocity - initial velocity) / 2*acceleration)]

3. The attempt at a solution
    By using the above equation, I found out that a crash does occur when Sue stops. However, I do not understand how to find out at exactly what displacement this crash occurs.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The position of the truck at a time t is given by xtruck(t)=155m+t*(5m/sec). I've picked x=0 to be the tunnel entrance and t=0 to be the time when Sue enters the tunnel. Can you write an equation for Sue's position at time t? Then set them equal and solve for t.

4. Sep 19, 2007 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Start by expressing Sue's displacement as a function of time and the truck's displacement as a function of time. At some time they end up in the same spot at the same time. (Measure the displacement of both from Sue's initial position.)

5. Sep 19, 2007 #4
    I'm sorry, I don't understand. How can I express sue's, or the truck's displacement as a function of time?

6. Sep 19, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Dick gave you the truck's position as a function of time. Now you find Sue's position as a function of time.

7. Sep 19, 2007 #6
    I don't understand how Dick came up with that function :)
    I want to say that the function for Sue's car is car(t) = t*30m/s, but that doesn't work out because I don't know how to incorporate the acceleration. Could you please explain how a function of time is created?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  8. Sep 19, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You must have some kinematical equations to use. The one I'm thinking of looks like:

x(t)=x0+v0*t+(1/2)*a*t^2.

Does that look familiar?

9. Sep 19, 2007 #8

Doc Al

You need to be familiar with the basic kinematic equations for constant speed and accelerated motion. Here's a summary that might prove helpful: Basic Equations of 1-D Kinematics

10. Sep 19, 2007 #9
    aha! so the equation for the car will be car(t) = 30t + .5(-2 m/s^2)(t^2)?

11. Sep 19, 2007 #10

Doc Al

Exactly!

12. Sep 19, 2007 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Absolutely right.

13. Sep 19, 2007 #12
    i love you all

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?