Will this 2.2 watt solar charger charge my booster pack?

In summary, the conversation revolves around using a 12 volt vehicle booster pack which is discharged and has no rating except for "ES 2500". The individual is considering using a solar panel with a 2.2 watt output to charge the booster pack, but there are concerns about the effectiveness and safety of this method. The link provided for the solar panel is no longer available and the individual also mentions the possibility of charging the pack by running the car and connecting the booster pack in parallel with the main car battery.
nobb
Hey.
I am not too knowledgeable on this topic so I was wondering if some of the knowledgeable folk here could help me out. Anyways, I have a 12 volt vehicle booster pack which is pretty discharged. There are no ratings on it except for the label that says "ES 2500." I am guessing that the 2500 may be the amp rating. There are two connectors on it, 2 clips, and a cigarette lighter socket. I have a solar panel which I bought from Canadian tire.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/...d=1408474396670271&bmUID=1124336620544

The panel is only about 2.2 watts and the product description mentions that it is good for battery maintenance. My questions is, if I hook up this panel to my booster pack, will it charge up my booster pack? I am aware that it probably will take a while, but it will happen right? Are there any concerns that I should be worried about? Thanks in advance.

Computer science news on Phys.org
The link you provided is dead.

Is this your booster pack:

http://www.all-cordless.com/bopa900peamp.html

Why are you using a solar panel if you can just hook up the booster pack to the cigarette lighter?

It says the charger requires 500 mA so if the solar panel outputs 2.2watts of energy you need 4.4 Volts or 8.8 Ohms of resistance.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that is my booster pack. I am using a solar panel because that is what is availiable to me (I do not have the original charger). Could I just charge the pack by running my car then hooking up the booster pack in parallel with the main car battery?

Last edited:

1. How does a solar charger work?

A solar charger works by converting sunlight into electricity through solar photovoltaic (PV) cells. These cells are made of silicon and contain layers of positively and negatively charged materials. When sunlight hits the cells, it knocks electrons loose from the atoms, creating an electrical current.

2. What is the wattage output of this solar charger?

The wattage output of a solar charger depends on the size and efficiency of the solar panels. In this case, the 2.2 watt solar charger has a maximum output of 2.2 watts under ideal conditions, which may vary depending on the amount of sunlight available.

3. Will this solar charger be able to charge my booster pack in one day?

The charging time of a solar charger depends on the amount of sunlight available, the wattage output, and the capacity of your booster pack. The 2.2 watt solar charger may take longer to charge a booster pack compared to a higher wattage charger. It is recommended to check the charging time listed on the charger or consult the manufacturer for more accurate information.

4. Can I use this solar charger to charge other devices?

Yes, as long as the device has a compatible charging port and the solar charger has enough wattage output to support it. It is important to check the compatibility and wattage requirements of your device before using the solar charger to avoid damaging your device or the charger.

5. Is this solar charger weather-resistant?

Some solar chargers are weather-resistant, but it is important to check the specifications of the specific charger you are using. The 2.2 watt solar charger may not be completely weather-resistant, so it is recommended to protect it from harsh weather conditions to ensure its longevity and performance.