Will this book help me with QM?

• Thread starter robertjford80
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Qm
In summary, the speaker is confused about quantum mechanics and is looking for a book that may help him. He has looked at different books and found that none of them have helped him understand the subject completely. He is also confused about wave mechanics and differential equations, and is looking for help with those concepts.
robertjford80
I'm a little bewildered by my recent dive into QM. I don't really understand what's going on. I'm thinking maybe I should study some wave mechanics first before I try QM proper. I'm not really good at math. I make an enormous number of mistakes and I need to be constantly reminded of what to do, that's why I need to have an extensive bit of worked problems just to even get any where. I'm thinking maybe this book will help:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070340412/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Will it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you posted the right book? If so, no, I do not think it will help.

This lecture series may help however.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea, I started with that lecture series and after the third lecture I found it it was QM 2. I'm using lecture series sponsored by Nptel in India but like I said, I'm still a bit bewildered. The book I posted was about Mechanical Oscillations.

robertjford80 said:
yea, I started with that lecture series and after the third lecture I found it it was QM 2. I'm using lecture series sponsored by Nptel in India but like I said, I'm still a bit bewildered. The book I posted was about Mechanical Oscillations.
That book will very likely not help with quantum mechanics. When people say study wave mechanics they generally are not referring to the study of molecular vibrations.

What book are you using for QM?

I'm using a lot of books, I've got Levin's, Anthony Phillips (those are the ones I've looked at so far). I've also got Griffith's, Ballantine's. I've got another one called Understanding QM by Omnes, and I've got three books of solved problems, one by Tamvakis, the other by some Chinese author and the other I forget their name. I'm thinking about getting this book

https://www.amazon.com/dp/019539349X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But since there are no answers or no solution manual I don't think it will help me much.

I think I'll just go to the wave mechanics section of the library and find whatever book looks most user friendly

I really doubt that book will clarify much in quantum mechanics.

What do you think is confusing you in QM?

well, not knowing about the Fourier transform or the dirac delta equation i think lead to a lot of the bewilderment. I'm reading up on those now. hopefully when i get those two concepts mastered i'll be able to go back to the lectures and follow better what is going on.

maybe i breezed through differential equations too quickly. I'm doing self-study so i have that luxury.

are you sure walter fox smith's book oscillations and waves won't help me? after all its subtitle is prelude to QM

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to wean yourself off of worked solutions before you can make real progress.

It's not good to be reminded what to do. Instead, remind yourself what to do. If you want to remember something, you have to practice remembering yourself without looking.

Sounds like you need to bolster your math skills. Study Fourier transforms, diff eqs and linear algebra.

1. Can this book provide a comprehensive understanding of Quantum Mechanics (QM)?

Yes, this book is designed to provide a thorough understanding of QM by covering all the fundamental concepts and principles.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners with no prior knowledge of QM?

Yes, this book is perfect for beginners as it starts with the basics and gradually builds upon them to help readers grasp complex concepts.

3. Does this book include practical examples and applications of QM?

Yes, this book includes numerous real-world examples and applications of QM to help readers better understand its relevance and importance.

4. Is this book written in a clear and easy-to-understand language?

Yes, this book is written in a simple and concise language to make it easily understandable for readers of all levels.

5. Will this book be helpful for advanced learners of QM?

Yes, this book covers advanced topics and theories of QM, making it a valuable resource for advanced learners who want to deepen their understanding of the subject.