Does this burglar alarm circuit design function correctly?

In summary, the above conversation is about a burglar alarm project for an engineering course. The circuit uses an IC2 uA 741 wired as a sensitive comparator and an LDR and R9 for setting the voltage at the non-inverting pin of IC2. The output of IC2 is low at standby mode and high when there is an intruder. R8 is a 47k pot and R9 is an LDR. The student has made some changes to the circuit and is asking for confirmation on its theoretical and practical functionality. The instructor provides some comments and suggestions, including adjusting the pot to make the alarm less sensitive. The student also asks about using SL 100 for Q1.
swty todd
We have to make a miniproject as part of my engineering course. I chose the above burglar alarm. I thought that there were some mistakes and I have made some changes (therefore some things are written in black). I did be grateful if you guys could confirm whether the circuit will work theoretically and practically. Let me know if I have made some mistakes. Here IC2 uA 741 is wired as a sensitive comparator ,whose set point is set by R6 & R7.The voltage divide by LDR and R9 is given at non inverting pin of IC2.At standby mode these two voltages are set equal by adjusting R9.Now the out put (pin6) of comparator will be low.Transistor Q1 will be off.The voltage at trigger pin of IC1 will be positive and there will be no alarm.When there is an intruder near the LDR the shadow causes its resistance to increase.Now the voltages at the inputs of comparator will be different and the out put of IC2 will be high.This makes Q1 on.This makes a negative going pulse to trigger the IC1 which is wired as a monostable multivibrator.The out put of IC1 will be amplified by Q2 (SL 100) to produce alarm.

Attachments

• aac.jpg
    aac.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
When there is an intruder near the LDR the shadow causes its resistance to increase.
How does the occur? What is R9; a photoresistor?

Here are a few comments which I hope may help:

• I cannot see what you mean by
    I have made some changes (therefore some things are written in black).
    What exactly have you changed?
  • To define the standby mode you should adjust for a definite "off" bias. Making the voltages at the comparator input exactly equal would give an undefined state, subject to the input voltage offset of IC2.
  • An alarm working directly on brightness would be very sensitive to changes in ambient lighting e.g. due to varying daylight or changes in mains voltage affecting electric light. (That's not your problem if your instructor has told you to use this circuit.)

Last edited:
You have me confused here, you seem to be saying that the output of IC2 is going from low to...low?

At standby mode these two voltages are set equal by adjusting R9.Now the out put (pin6) of comparator will be low.Transistor Q1 will be off.The voltage at trigger pin of IC1 will be positive and there will be no alarm.When there is an intruder near the LDR the shadow causes its resistance to increase.Now the voltages at the inputs of comparator will be different and the out put of IC2 will be low.

R8 is a 47k pot and R9 is an LDR. I made those changes in the above figure(wrote them in black) but seems like they weren't saved.Extremely sorry about that, I have posted the correct figure. Also output goes from low to high

picture.php?albumid=60&pictureid=679.jpg

Last edited:
Adjuster said:
Here are a few comments which I hope may help:

• I cannot see what you mean by What exactly have you changed?
  • To define the standby mode you should adjust for a definite "off" bias. Making the voltages at the comparator input exactly equal would give an undefined state, subject to the input voltage offset of IC2.
  • An alarm working directly on brightness would be very sensitive to changes in ambient lighting e.g. due to varying daylight or changes in mains voltage affecting electric light. (That's not your problem if your instructor has told you to use this circuit.)

To avoid situations you have stated in your second and third comments, any idea how I should modify the circuit.One way I can think of would be to adjust the 47K pot so that its resistance is little more than the LDR. By increasing the value of the pot , I can also make the alarm less sensitive (to avoid situation no.3 ), though am not sure how much a particular change will affect its sensitivity.

Also is it okay if I use SL 100 for Q1?
And thanks a lot!

Last edited:

1. Will this circuit work if I use a different resistor?

It depends on the specific resistor and its properties. Different resistors have different values and tolerances, which can affect the overall performance of the circuit. It is important to choose a resistor with the appropriate value and tolerance for the circuit to work properly.

2. How do I know if this circuit will work with my power supply?

You need to make sure that your power supply can provide enough voltage and current for the circuit. Check the specifications of your power supply and compare them to the requirements of the circuit. If they match, then the circuit should work with your power supply.

3. Can I use this circuit for a different application?

It depends on the specific circuit and its components. Some circuits are designed for specific purposes and may not work well for other applications. It is important to understand the function and limitations of the circuit before using it for a different application.

4. How can I test if this circuit is working correctly?

You can use a multimeter to test the voltage and current at various points in the circuit. You can also use an oscilloscope to visualize the signals and check for any abnormalities. Additionally, you can compare the expected results to the actual results to determine if the circuit is working correctly.

5. What should I do if the circuit is not working?

First, check all the connections and make sure they are secure. Then, check the components to make sure they are in the correct orientation and functioning properly. If the circuit still does not work, you may need to troubleshoot and identify the faulty component or design flaw.