Is the Force Applied to the Ball Zero in this Scenario?

In summary, when pushing a mass with a known gravitational field, the net force acting on the mass is zero because the forces acting on the mass are in opposite directions.
Anjum S Khan

Homework Statement

I am pushing a very heavy ball with full strength, but the ball is not moving at all. So, there is no change in momentum of the ball.
Is it appropriate to say that the Force applied to the ball is zero ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Anjum S Khan said:

Homework Statement

I am pushing a very heavy ball with full strength, but the ball is not moving at all. So, there is no change in momentum of the ball.
Is it appropriate to say that the Force applied to the ball is zero ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What are your thoughts on this?

Chestermiller said:
What are your thoughts on this?
Force is rate of change of momentum. But here change of momentum is zero, so Force should be zero.

Look at it another way. While pushing on the ball, you slip and the ball rolls on top of you and stops. The ball is not moving, yet it is crushing you. Is the force still zero?

Likes billy_joule
SteamKing said:
Look at it another way. While pushing on the ball, you slip and the ball rolls on top of you and stops. The ball is not moving, yet it is crushing you. Is the force still zero?
Change the ball to say some other rigid body which is incompressible anyhow, with very heavy mass. I am pushing it but can't make it move. Then ?

Anjum S Khan said:
Change the ball to say some other rigid body which is incompressible anyhow, with very heavy mass. I am pushing it but can't make it move. Then ?
There's a building which you are pushing against. The building does not move, yet your muscles are straining to push it over. Are you exerting no force against the side of this building?

Anjum S Khan said:
What is the difference between force and net force?

SteamKing said:
There's a building which you are pushing against. The building does not move, yet your muscles are straining to push it over. Are you exerting no force against the side of this building?

Of course I am exerting pressure. But in physics terms (Newton's 2nd Law), Force should be zero.

Anjum S Khan said:
Of course I am exerting pressure. But in physics terms (Newton's 2nd Law), Force should be zero.
Since pressure is defined as force per unit area, if you are exerting pressure, ipso fatso, you are exerting a force. :wink:

Anjum S Khan said:
Newton's 2nd law says that the NET force acting on a body is equal to its mass times acceleration. It doesn't say that any individual force on a body is equal to its mass times acceleration.

If you are pushing on a building (and the building isn't moving), what are the two horizontal forces acting on the building?

If you are pushing a rigid body and the body doesn't move
It's only so because the "net" force acting on the body equals zero yielding zero acceleration
ΣFexternal = m×a
Where m is the mass and a is the acceleration produced in the body
This is Newton's 2nd Law of motion (simplified)
Look at it in this way
Let's say you're pushing a block on a smooth table and your friend is pushing the block in the opposite direction
Let's say both of you keep on pushing with equal forces but the block doesn't accelerate
Does this mean that you aren't applying a force on the ball?
You are right as you're pushing the ball
However the net force "applied"to the ball is zero as the forces of equal magnitude in opposite directions cancel each other out
Hence it's net force, not an individual force acting on a body which yields the acceleration!

UchihaClan13

1. What is a force and how is it related to zero?

A force is a physical quantity that causes an object to accelerate or change its motion. When the net force acting on an object is zero, it means that there is no overall force acting on the object and it will either remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity.

2. How can a force be zero?

A force can be zero if all the forces acting on an object cancel each other out, resulting in a net force of zero. This can happen when two equal and opposite forces are acting on an object, or when the vector sum of all the forces is zero.

3. What does it mean if the net force is zero?

If the net force on an object is zero, it means that the object is in a state of equilibrium and will not accelerate. This can occur when the object is at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

4. Can a force be zero and still cause motion?

Yes, a force can be zero and still cause an object to move. This can happen if there are other forces acting on the object that are not in the same direction as the zero force. The object will then move in the direction of the non-zero forces.

5. How do I know if the force will be zero in a given situation?

To determine if the force will be zero in a given situation, you need to consider all the forces acting on the object and their direction. If the forces are balanced and cancel each other out, the net force will be zero. If there is an unbalanced force, the net force will not be zero and the object will accelerate. Additionally, if the object is at rest or moving at a constant velocity, the net force must be zero.