Solving Quadratic Equations with a Linear Polynomial Relation

The answer is no.In summary, the conversation discusses a relation between the product of two linear polynomials and the square of their average, which can be used to solve any quadratic equation. However, the participants agree that this knowledge is not significant or impressive enough to help someone get into a top university or impress others. It is considered routine knowledge and not worth including in an essay or job application.
Mrq
I derived a relation between the product of two linear polynomials and the square of their average. It can be used to solve any quadratic equation. Will this help me getting into a top university?

Physics news on Phys.org
We already can solve any quadratic equation. So no.

Likes Mrq
So I shouldn't include this in an essay if I am going to apply for a top university??

No. It will impress nobody.

Likes Larry Gopnik and Mrq
Actually, I think it is likely to anti-impress people. I'd exclude it.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, symbolipoint and Mrq
Mrq said:
I derived a relation between the product of two linear polynomials and the square of their average. It can be used to solve any quadratic equation. Will this help me getting into a top university?
This seems to be a description of completing the square to solve anyone or two variable quadratic equation. Nobody cares, because this is routine knowledge, established for a long time. The only way this would impress anyone is if you could use it in a job as an employee where most people near in the field have typically forgotten their knowledge.

Likes Mrq

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a mathematical expression that contains a variable raised to the second power (or squared) and is set equal to a constant. It can be written in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you solve a quadratic equation?

To solve a quadratic equation, you can use a variety of methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the variable and find its value.

3. What is a linear polynomial relation?

A linear polynomial relation is a mathematical expression that involves only one variable and its powers raised to the first degree (or simply the variable itself). It can be written in the form of ax + b = 0, where a and b are constants and x is the variable.

4. Can a linear polynomial relation and a quadratic equation have a solution in common?

Yes, a linear polynomial relation and a quadratic equation can have a solution in common. This is because a quadratic equation can also be written in the form of a linear polynomial relation by setting the coefficient of the squared term to 0. Therefore, the solution to the quadratic equation will also satisfy the linear polynomial relation.

5. How do you graph a quadratic equation with a linear polynomial relation?

To graph a quadratic equation with a linear polynomial relation, you can first plot the x- and y-intercepts (where the equation crosses the x- and y-axes) using the solutions obtained from solving the equation. Then, you can plot additional points by choosing values for x and solving for y, or by using the vertex formula to find the coordinates of the vertex. Finally, connect the points to create a parabola, which represents the graph of the quadratic equation.