Will Tom DeLay Face Conviction for Political Corruption?

• News
  • Thread starter loseyourname
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delay
In summary, the Republican National Committee funneled money to candidates in one day in order to circumvent campaign finance laws. This is a direct result of DeLay's own testimony to the Grand Jury.

Will DeLay be Convicted?

• Total voters
loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
I'd run a book if I could here and ask you to all place your bets, but as it is, we may as well keep a record of our predictions and see who turns out to be right.

Physics news on Phys.org
I bet "no".

No and even money it never gets to trial.

This would be a really hard case to win.

That doesn't mean it's a bad case to initiate. Either DeLay gets convicted or Texas's laws about campaign contributions are legally unenforcable (most likely case). Even if a technical loophole, it still let's voters know DeLay's attitude about the laws of Texas -- "Don't really give a damn because I'm better and smarter than you guys in Texas."

I'm of a different opinion: These indictments are a direct result of DeLeys own testimony to the Grand Jury. In addition the channeling of money ($190,000 of corporate money to the RNC and $190,000 worth of RNC money to candidates in one day) is exceedingly apparent and was done to circumvent the law. By definition that is money laundering. The only thing the DA needs to show is a little knowledge of the dealings on DeLays part.

DeLay is trying to separate his case from the other two to get through the courts before one of the other two chuckle-heads cops a deal. If the three were tried together then two of the three run a huge risk of being railroaded by the third. DeLay wants to avoid this so he is trying to go to court ASAP with a minimal number of appeals while the other two have a few appeals they are trying to push through.

They have evidence---DeLays own words, they have motive---DeLays own words, they have a crime all they need to do is show DeLay knew about the shell game.

The conspiracy charge is in regards to DeLays knowledge of the crime while money laundering charges are a direct result of DeLays acknowledgment of the crime and his participation.

I'll dig up some links in a little while.

I'm hoping he bites it on the lesser charge (conspiracy). I think he skips on the bigger one.

I voted affirmative on hope.

Does a plea bargan count as a conviction under your poll?

A plea bargain is a conviction, but if he plea bargains to misdemeanors, he would still retain certain priveleges he would forfeit if convicted of a felony - and he could still run for public office.

I just hope the people in his district - Texas's 22nd congressional district - vote for someone else next year - that is if DeLay is still eligible.

russ_watters said:
Does a plea bargan count as a conviction under your poll?

No, I mean convicted of the charges that are being brought against him as of right now.

Astronuc said:
I just hope the people in his district - Texas's 22nd congressional district - vote for someone else next year - that is if DeLay is still eligible.
DeLay is the type that would go to each of their homes and strong arm them into voting for him (threats work great). He should work for the mob (if he doesn't already).

I voted no. I fear he will manage to weasel his way out, or plea to much lesser charges that will amount to little more than a slap on the wrist.

SOS2008 said:
DeLay is the type that would go to each of their homes and strong arm them into voting for him (threats work great). He should work for the mob (if he doesn't already).
Actually, a few prominent Republicans down there near Sugarland would prefer to see DeLay go!

1. Will Tom DeLay definitely be convicted?

As a scientist, I cannot definitively answer this question. The outcome of a trial is dependent on many factors, including the evidence presented and the decisions of the judge and jury.

2. What evidence is there against Tom DeLay?

There is evidence that Tom DeLay was involved in illegal campaign finance activities, including money laundering and conspiracy. This evidence includes witness testimony, financial records, and correspondence.

3. How long could Tom DeLay potentially be sentenced to?

If Tom DeLay is convicted, he could face up to 20 years in prison for the charge of money laundering and up to 10 years for the charge of conspiracy. However, the actual sentence would be determined by the judge.

4. What is the status of Tom DeLay's case?

As of now, Tom DeLay's conviction has been overturned twice by higher courts and the case is still ongoing. The latest development is that the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals has reinstated the money laundering conviction, but the case is still pending in the lower court.

5. Will Tom DeLay go to jail if he is convicted?

If Tom DeLay is ultimately convicted and sentenced, he will likely serve time in prison. However, there is always the possibility of appealing the conviction or seeking parole.