Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will top colleges except the ged?

1. Jun 15, 2004 #1
    Will top colleges accept the ged?

I am 14 years old and I am home schooled. I plan to take the ged at sixteen. My question is. Will not having a high school diploma prevent me from getting into top colleges? If all they want is high sat scores and good references, I got no problem. But if high school diploma means a lot then, I do. I am really intelligent, I know a lot of physics and math (Just now beginning to study a bit of tensor calculus :zzz: :surprise: :confused: :approve: :rofl: :yuck: .) and want to get into a college like Princeton or MIT. If a high school diploma is important I want to start earning one through a distance program before its to late.

The kid who reads to much. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I doubt that the ged versus a "diploma" will be a big problem. At least one top college, Reed College in Portland, Oregon, does not require either! Of course, they might look askance at someone who uses "except" when he means "accept" and "know" when he means "now" :wink:!

4. Jun 15, 2004 #3
    That was a typo.

5. Jun 16, 2004 #4
    Make damn sure someone competent in English proofs any documents you submit to graduate schools.

Question: How are you learning these advanced courses? Are your parents scientists? Or are you learning online?

6. Jun 16, 2004 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

John,

I think Bookworm is still trying to get into college for his undergraduate degree. If he/she does this, then I think issues relating to graduate school application shouldn't be a problem. :)

Coming back to the original question, I think there are more and more colleges that are beginning to accept incoming undergraduates who are home schooled. Since you lack any kind of official grades to indicate to them how competent you are, sitting for the SAT is a must. In fact, I would even recommend that you take both the SAT and ACT just to prove to them that you are as capable as any high school graduate. Getting the GED would add to the proof that you have such capabilities.

Will also need to work a little bit harder in your applications, especially if you are applying to competitive schools. In your essays, you may need to describe your home-schooling process, what you learn, what you gained, etc. that (i) made you as capable as any high school students and (ii) maybe even the extra advantages you received because of it. Write something to make them sit up and take notice, because you need to distinguish yourself from the rest of the applicants and give them reason to realize that you are not at a disadvantage just because you didn't attend a conventional high school.

Armed with all these, I don't see why you should not apply to whatever school you wish (assuming of course your test scores are that good).

Zz.

7. Jun 16, 2004 #6
    My parents have high Iqs (My mom has a iq in 140s, she was in gifted programs as a kid.) but are not scientists. I teach myself through reading, you can tell from my grammar and spelling that I didn't study any of shakespeares works. I have been teaching myself since about the age of 9, 8-9 hours of reading on weekdays and weekends like 3-5.

The kid who reads to much.

8. Jun 16, 2004 #7
    I am going to take the sat in the fall and then apply to take some college courses through a gifted program.

The kid who reads to much.

9. Jun 16, 2004 #8
    ps No one has to tell me that I was using the wrong to there.

The kid who reads to( Geniuses don't tend to be good spellers iether lollol hehe. I before e except after c lol.) much

10. Jun 25, 2004 #9
    Hello,

I’ve just been accepted into the UC Berkeley Mathematics Department as an undergraduate, and I did not attend any schooling after the age of twelve. One thing you should do is enroll in a school district, assuming you already aren’t, and have a copy of your high school proficiency or GED sent to them. They will then annotate your transcript, and whatever school does that is considered your school of graduation.

I’ll give you a little more advice, but take it for what it’s worth because it’s only my opinion. If you do manage to get into a good school, I would drop this entire “high IQ” talk. Nearly everyone there will have been in a gifted program of some sort, and it just makes you look arrogant to discuss those sorts of things. Again this is my opinion, but it’s hard to make good friends when you act like that.

PS: Good schools expect you to be able to write with at least a modicum of skill.

Jacob

11. Jun 26, 2004 #10

Gza

I think that homeschooling in general is good for motivated learners (like yourself from the sounds of it), but there are still things you miss out on while being schooled at home; such as a social life, and learning of various aspects and nuances of interpersonal communication you can only get from going to school. Without that, you will be at a disadvantage when it comes to entering the real world. You may end up getting accepted to the school of your choice, but end up hating it there because you don't know how to communicate properly. I'm just speaking from my experience of meeting a few homeschoolers who go to UCSB for its engineering and physics, but really hate every other aspect of the school.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?