Willard, Ordered Pair problem

• Thread starter malicx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pair
In summary: Haha that's quite frustrating. I've found other typos in the book as well, and people seem to be praising it. I guess I'll just be extra careful with my own work from now on.
malicx

Homework Statement

Show that, if (x1, x2) is defined to be {{x1. {x1, y2}}, then (x1, x2) = (y1, y2) iff x1 = x2 and y1 = y2.

This is from Willard's General Topology, problem 1C.

I think Willard is trying to develop the set theoretic definition of the ordered pair, but this doesn't seem correct to me... In particular, it seems like we should be showing x1 = y1, etc. Is this is a gigantic typo or are we trying to show something completely different than what I'm assuming? In fact, even the definition seems to be wrong looking at http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/OrderedPair.html . Note that I copied this exactly from the book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
malicx said:

Homework Statement

Show that, if (x1, x2) is defined to be {{x1. {x1, y2}}, then (x1, x2) = (y1, y2) iff x1 = x2 and y1 = y2.

Do you mean

[tex](x_1, x_2)[/tex] is defined to be [tex]\{x_1, \{x_1, x_2\}\}[/tex]?

If so, that definition seems fine. One direction is trivial: if [itex]x_1 = x_2[/itex] and [itex]y_1 = y_2[/itex] then clearly [itex](x_1, x_2) = (y_1, y_2)[/itex].

Conversely, if [itex](x_1, x_2) = (y_1, y_2)[/itex] then by definition

[tex]\{x_1, \{x_1, x_2\}\} = \{y_1, \{y_1, y_2\}\}[/tex]

Each set has two elements, and the elements are of different types: a singleton and a set of two elements. What does equality imply?

jbunniii said:
Do you mean

[tex](x_1, x_2)[/tex] is defined to be [tex]\{x_1, \{x_1, x_2\}\}[/tex]?

If so, that definition seems fine. One direction is trivial: if [itex]x_1 = x_2[/itex] and [itex]y_1 = y_2[/itex] then clearly [itex](x_1, x_2) = (y_1, y_2)[/itex].

Conversely, if [itex](x_1, x_2) = (y_1, y_2)[/itex] then by definition

[tex]\{x_1, \{x_1, x_2\}\} = \{y_1, \{y_1, y_2\}\}[/tex]

Each set has two elements, and the elements are of different types: a singleton and a set. What does equality imply?
I know how to prove it given that definition. I copied it exactly from the book. Take a look here, it's on page 13 http://books.google.com/books?id=-o...&resnum=3&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false.

jbunniii said:
Yes, I agree it's a typo. The definition makes no sense with [itex]y_2[/itex] instead of [itex]x_2[/itex].

Haha that's quite frustrating. I've found other typos in the book as well, and people seem to be praising it. I guess I'll just be extra careful

1. What is the Willard, Ordered Pair problem?

The Willard, Ordered Pair problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the number of unique ordered pairs (x,y) that satisfy a given equation or system of equations.

2. Who is Willard?

Willard is an American mathematician and computer scientist who first posed the Ordered Pair problem in 1964. His full name is Willard Van Orman Quine.

3. What is the significance of the Willard, Ordered Pair problem?

The Willard, Ordered Pair problem is significant because it is an example of a combinatorial problem, which has real-world applications in fields such as computer science, economics, and genetics.

4. What is the formula for solving the Willard, Ordered Pair problem?

The formula for solving the Willard, Ordered Pair problem is n(n+1)/2, where n is the number of unique variables in the given equation or system of equations.

5. Are there any known solutions to the Willard, Ordered Pair problem?

Yes, there are known solutions to the Willard, Ordered Pair problem for specific equations and systems of equations. However, for more complex equations, the problem may require advanced mathematical techniques to solve.