Wilson Line Propagator: Understanding Eqtn 5.7 & 5.8

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a small variable ##\epsilon > 0## to rewrite the integral in Eqtn 5.7 as a limit, in order to assure convergence of the function as ##\lambda## goes to ##-\infty##. The result of the integral is understood with a ##\lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0^+}## in front. There is a question about an undefined term in the lower limit and the whereabouts of the exponentials in the upper limit. The speaker suggests performing the integrals one after the other and verifying the claim about the upper limit in the last integral.
Elmo
TL;DR Summary
An undefined term in the wilson line propagator
I asked this from a number of people but no one knew what to do about this exponential with iota infinity in the power,in Eqtn 5.7
The textbook seems to imply that it is zero but cos and sine are undefined at infinity.
Also,all the exponentials seem to vanish from the final result of Eqtn 5.8 whereas the integration of exponential function should still leave behind the function.
Where do all the exponentials go ?
Screenshot (1).png

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the author intoduces a small variable ##\epsilon > 0## so to write the integral in 5.7 as:

$$\lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0^+} \int_{-\infty}^{\lambda_2} d\lambda e^{-i(nk + i \epsilon)\lambda}$$

In this way you will have your original exponential multiplied by ##e^{\epsilon \lambda}##. This will assure the convergence of the function as ##\lambda## goes to ##-\infty## because it will exponentially go to zero.
The result of the integral is to be understood with a ##\lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0^+}## in front.

Likes Elmo
dRic2 said:
I think the author intoduces a small variable ##\epsilon > 0## so to write the integral in 5.7 as:

$$\lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0^+} \int_{-\infty}^{\lambda_2} d\lambda e^{-i(nk + i \epsilon)\lambda}$$

In this way you will have your original exponential multiplied by ##e^{\epsilon \lambda}##. This will assure the convergence of the function as ##\lambda## goes to ##-\infty## because it will exponentially go to zero.
The result of the integral is to be understood with a ##\lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0^+}## in front.
Seems good though it introduces another undefined term as the lower limit, in the form of
$$e^{-n\epsilon\infty} $$
And as ##\epsilon \rightarrow 0## is being multiplied with infinity ,should that not again be undefined ?
Also,my other question remains that what happens to the exponentials in the upper limit ?
Why don't they show up in the final expression or the list of Feynman rules.

Elmo said:
should that not again be undefined
No. You take the ##\lim_{\epsilon->0^+}## at the end of all the calculations. So, first, you do the definite integral (that is first you take the limit as ##\lambda \rightarrow - \infty## which annihilates the exponential).

As for your second question, I don't see it immediately. If I have time I'll check more carefully. Sorry

Elmo said:
Also,my other question remains that what happens to the exponentials in the upper limit ?
You are performing the integrals in (5.6) one after the other. The explicit example is for the innermost one (over ##\lambda_1##). Have you verified the claim about the ##\lambda_2## integral? The upper limit in the last integral (the leftmost integral symbol) is 0, giving you ##e^0 = 1##.

1. What is the Wilson Line Propagator?

The Wilson Line Propagator is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to calculate the probability amplitude for a particle to travel from one point to another.

2. How is Eqtn 5.7 & 5.8 used to understand the Wilson Line Propagator?

Eqtn 5.7 & 5.8 are equations that represent the Wilson Line Propagator in terms of Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of particle interactions. These equations help to visualize and understand the mathematical calculations involved in the Wilson Line Propagator.

3. What is the significance of the Wilson Line in Eqtn 5.7 & 5.8?

The Wilson Line is a path-ordered exponential function that takes into account the effects of the strong nuclear force on the particle's motion. It is a crucial component in calculating the Wilson Line Propagator and provides a more accurate representation of particle interactions.

4. How does the Wilson Line Propagator contribute to our understanding of quantum mechanics?

The Wilson Line Propagator is a fundamental tool in quantum field theory, which is the mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It allows us to make predictions about particle interactions and provides a deeper understanding of the underlying principles of quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Wilson Line Propagator?

Yes, the Wilson Line Propagator has practical applications in particle physics and cosmology, where it is used to calculate the scattering amplitudes of particles and predict the behavior of the early universe. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing and high-energy particle accelerators.