Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wilson Lines

1. Mar 10, 2010 #1
    Dear all,

I have recently read the effects of T-duality of both closed and open strings (Zwiebach 2009, Johnson 2003) and found it very interesting indeed. However, I found it difficult to understand the concept of Wilson lines. Could someone please explain me the idea and concept of Wilson lines for both closed and open strings? How does it work and what is the point of it?

Could someone also tell me what is S-duality (g --> 1/g)? How does it actually work?

Is there a good review paper on an introduction to Wilson lines and S-duality? If so, where can I find them?

Many thanks!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2010 #2
    Since no one else has responded, try here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson_Line

I posted about these in another thread but can't find it...I had a source that discussed these as Wilson-Polykov (Sp) loops and these were closely related to Roger Penrose's idea of spin foam...

Anyway, one formulation leads to the other....if you think of lattice network, space time "appears" as a crystal like structure with integer value edge lengths as areas and nodal integer values as volumes of spacetime...

Roger Penrose mentions (page 941) that Wilson loops were developed by Rovelli, Smolin and Jacobsen in general relativity and discusses related mathematics (topology) of knots and Links in THE ROAD TO REALITY at page 943 and goes on the subsequent pages to describe his formulation and preference that spacetime should be based on discreteness rather than continuity....
    spin networks is also a closely related topic...

4. Mar 11, 2010 #3
    Ok I found some notes I kept but have not yet edited/studied.....which may help you, ..Sorry I don't know the exact source, but it was from some guys here on Physicsforums ..(edit) found it:

REFERENCE : maestro Carlo Rovelli “Loop Quantum Gravity”
    Physics World, November 2003

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook