Wilsonian RG and Effective Field Theories

In summary, the conversation discusses the Wilsonian view of renormalization and how it explains the predictive power of non-renormalizable field theories at energies below the intrinsic cutoff. The 3-step Wilsonian RG procedure is discussed, as well as the scaling of coefficients for different operators in L_eff. The question is raised about the understanding of irrelevant operators and their coefficients in relation to the discussions in various QFT books. The relevance of effective field theory in non-renormalizable theories and the use of path integration in calculations is also mentioned.
Scott1137
Years ago after reading Ch. 12 of Peskin and Schroeder (and the analogous discussion in Zee), I thought I fully understood the modern Wilsonian view of renormalization, and how it explains why non-renormalizable field theories still have meaning/predictive power at energies well below the intrinsic cutoff or breakdown scale ##\Lambda##. To recap the argument, P&S start with ##\phi^4## theory in Euclidean space with a sharp UV cutoff ##\Lambda##. They then follow the 3-step Wilsonian RG procedure:

1. Integrate out modes in the momentum shell ##b\Lambda < k < \Lambda ## where ##b<1##, thereby shifting the starting parameters ##m## and ##\Lambda##, but also generating higher-dimension operators like ##\phi^6## terms, etc.
  2. Rescale momentum ##k'=k/b## and lengths ## x' = bx## so that the momentum integrals in the effective Lagrangian from Step 1 span the same range (i.e., ##[0,\Lambda]##) as the starting Lagrangian.
  3. Rescale fields to keep the quadratic term unchanged
Then one observes how the coefficients of the different operators in ##L_{eff}## scale as the 3-step transformation is iterated many times until ##b^n\Lambda## is near the scale of some low-energy process you want to compute. For weak coupling, (i.e., near the gaussian fixed point), this basically boils down to dimensional analysis, with the couplings with negative mass dimension decaying as you
scale towards low momenta (i.e., the so-called irrelevant operators), and those with positive mass dimension growing ("relevant operators"). Dimensionless ("marginal") couplings don't change-- more precisely, you need to consider the "dynamic" part of the RG transformation coming from loop integrals in step 1 to see if it decays or grows. In this way, you see that even if you started with some crazy non-renormalizable theory at the scale of ##\Lambda##, at energies much less than this all the non-renormalizable terms become unimportant since their coefficients decay under the 3-step RG procedure.

Anyway, the above all seemed "obvious" until I encountered the analogous discussions in the more recent QFT books of Srednicki (Ch. 29) and Schwartz (Ch. 23). Weinberg also has a similar discussion in a section called "the floating cutoff". All of these, best as I can tell, are based on the 1984 Nucl. Phys. B paper of Polchinski (see http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0550321384902876). There, they also follow the Wilsonian approach of integrating out high-momentum modes, but they all make the point that the coefficients of the irrelevant operators aren't necessarily flowing to zero in the infrared, but rather they become insensitive to the values of the irrelevant couplings at the large cutoff scales. I.e., the coefficients with negative mass dimension aren't necessarily small as you integrate down to low momentum scales, but rather they become computeable functions of just the marginal and relevant couplings.

My question is, have I horrendously misunderstood the discussions in Peskin and Schroeder (and also Zee), which seemed so intuitive and trivial at the time? Are they not saying the irrelevant couplings are decaying to zero as you iterate the RG transformation? How do I square this with the discussions in Srednicki, Schwartz, Weinberg, and Polchinski?

Likes king vitamin
Physics news on Phys.org
https://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9210046

Polchinski gives the definitions of marginal, relevant, and irrelevant operators on p3.

I think your understanding of Weinberg is correct. I believe Srednicki (eg. p193) says the same thing.

Last edited:
I'm grateful for this thread because I'm deep into quantum gravity, which is non-renormalizable and as far as I know, generally accepted as being a good candidate for an effective field theory. I am also deep into Srednicki chapter 29.

As a relative newcomer to these techniques, this thread prompts some basic questions:
1) Which non-renormalizable theories serve as the best basic illustration of these concepts (strong interaction, etc)? There must have been some successes along the way since effective field theory continues to be pursued. Basically I'd like to come up to speed on cases where effective field techniques lifted a problem out of a calculational morass and added additional higher-order physical information.
2) Is it necessary to get proficient with path integration in order to do calculations in this framework, or do 'Feynman diagrams + added features' do the trick?

I have Weinberg, Srednicki, Peskin and Schroeder right at hand, as well as Zee (first edition), if that matters.

1. What is Wilsonian RG and how does it relate to Effective Field Theories?

Wilsonian RG (renormalization group) is a mathematical framework used to study the behavior of physical systems at different energy scales. It is closely related to effective field theories, which are simplified models used to describe physical phenomena at a certain energy scale. The Wilsonian RG approach allows us to understand how the effective theory changes as we consider different energy scales.

2. How does Wilsonian RG differ from other renormalization methods?

Unlike other renormalization methods, Wilsonian RG takes into account all energy scales and continuously adjusts the parameters of the effective theory as we consider different scales. This allows for a more complete understanding of the behavior of the system at all scales.

3. What are the advantages of using Wilsonian RG for studying physical systems?

One of the main advantages of using Wilsonian RG is that it allows us to understand the behavior of a system at different energy scales, which can provide insights into the underlying physics. It also allows us to systematically improve the accuracy of our calculations by including higher energy scales.

4. Can Wilsonian RG be applied to any physical system?

Yes, the Wilsonian RG framework can be applied to a wide range of physical systems, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. However, the specific applications and techniques used may vary depending on the system being studied.

5. How does Wilsonian RG help us make predictions about physical systems?

By studying the behavior of a system at different energy scales, Wilsonian RG allows us to make predictions about the behavior of that system at any scale. This can help us understand the underlying physics and make more accurate predictions about the system's behavior in different scenarios.