Remainder of 34! divided by 37 using Wilson's Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the remainder when 34! is divided by 37 using Wilson's Theorem. The solution involves using the fact that (p-2)! = 1 (mod p) and solving for x in the equation 35x = 1 (mod 37). The conversation also briefly mentions finding 33!/37 using the extended euclidean algorithm.
duki

Homework Statement

Find the remainder when 34! is divided by 37.

Homework Equations

Wilson's Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that (p-1)! = (-1)(mod p) and that (p-2)! = (1)(mod p). I don't understand how to apply this to (p-3)! though.

Physics news on Phys.org
you know that (p-2)! = 1 (mod p). So (p-3)!*(p-2) = 1 (mod p). In this situation, 34!*35 = 1 (mod 37). Call 34! 'x' and then solve 35x = 1 mod 37, which has a unique solution since gcd(35,37) = 1.

So do you do..

1 = 35x
1 = (-2)x
1 = (-2)(-18)

R = -18 + 37 = 19 ??

35*19 isn't 1 mod 37. Don't you mean 1=(-2)(-19)? It's easy enough to check your answers with a quick calculation.

You're right. Thanks for the help.

I'm trying to find 33! / 37 now.

I have gotten to (-3)x = 18 (mod 37)... but I can't figure out what x is.

What is Wilson's Theorem?

Wilson's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a number is prime, then the factorial of that number minus one, divided by the number, will always result in a remainder of either 0 or (number-1).

What is the significance of Wilson's Theorem?

Wilson's Theorem has significant applications in number theory and cryptography. It is used to determine if a number is prime and to generate large prime numbers for use in encryption algorithms.

How do you use Wilson's Theorem to determine if a number is prime?

To use Wilson's Theorem to determine if a number is prime, you must first calculate the factorial of that number minus one. Then, divide that factorial by the number and check the remainder. If the remainder is 0 or (number-1), then the number is prime. If the remainder is any other number, then the number is not prime.

Can Wilson's Theorem be used to find all prime numbers?

No, Wilson's Theorem can only be used to determine if a specific number is prime. It cannot be used to find all prime numbers as there are infinitely many prime numbers and the theorem only applies to a specific number.

Are there any exceptions to Wilson's Theorem?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to Wilson's Theorem. The theorem only applies to positive integers, so it cannot be used for numbers less than 1. Additionally, numbers that are not prime can also sometimes satisfy the theorem. These numbers are known as pseudoprimes.