WiMAX Transmitter: Can 1 EXAbit/sec be Transmitted?

• Thread starter leonmate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transmitter
In summary, the conversation discusses the capabilities of WiMAX networks in providing a 30mbit connection to a user 50km away. The formula for calculating the received signal power is mentioned, but it is noted that the calculation is incorrect and further research is needed. The conversation ends with a question about how these networks work and their ability to transmit an EXAbit of data per second.
leonmate
I was reading about WiMAX networks and how they can provide a 30mbit connection to a user 50km away!

Now, I don't have a great understanding of data transfer but I assume inverse power law applies??

Pf = Pi / 4*pi*r^2

At 50km

Pf = Pi / 10^10 * pi

For Pf = 30mbit/sec = 30*10^6
Pi must equal:

30*10^6 * 10^10 * pi = 10^18 bits/sec = 1 EXAbit/sec

Really?! Can they transmit an EXAbit of data per second? How the hell do these things work?!

Engineering news on Phys.org
leonmate said:
I was reading about WiMAX networks and how they can provide a 30mbit connection to a user 50km away!

Now, I don't have a great understanding of data transfer but I assume inverse power law applies??

Pf = Pi / 4*pi*r^2

At 50km

Pf = Pi / 10^10 * pi

For Pf = 30mbit/sec = 30*10^6
Pi must equal:

30*10^6 * 10^10 * pi = 10^18 bits/sec = 1 EXAbit/sec

Really?! Can they transmit an EXAbit of data per second? How the hell do these things work?!
The calculation is incorrect. You need to look up the Friis formula on the Internet as a starting point. This will give the received signal power, and then you need to work out if it will compete with the noise of the system.

1. What is a WiMAX transmitter?

A WiMAX transmitter is a device that uses WiMAX technology to transmit data wirelessly over long distances. It is commonly used for high-speed internet connections in areas where traditional wired connections are not available.

2. How does a WiMAX transmitter work?

A WiMAX transmitter works by converting data into radio waves, which are then transmitted through the air. These radio waves are received by a WiMAX receiver, which decodes the data and delivers it to the intended destination.

3. What is the maximum speed that can be transmitted by a WiMAX transmitter?

The maximum speed that can be transmitted by a WiMAX transmitter is 1 EXAbit/sec (exabits per second). This is equivalent to 1 billion gigabits per second, making it one of the fastest wireless technologies currently available.

4. Can 1 EXAbit/sec be transmitted over a long distance?

Yes, 1 EXAbit/sec can be transmitted over a long distance using a WiMAX transmitter. WiMAX technology is designed to work over distances of up to 50 kilometers, making it ideal for providing high-speed internet connections in rural or remote areas.

5. What are the advantages of using a WiMAX transmitter?

Some of the advantages of using a WiMAX transmitter include high-speed data transmission, long range coverage, and the ability to support multiple users simultaneously. It is also a cost-effective solution for providing internet access in areas where traditional wired connections are not available.