1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Winch power requirement

1. Sep 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to write an equation to find the necessary power requirements of a winch used to raise and lower a lift of an undetermined mass and a counterweight that is half the mass of the lift. The maximum speed of the lift is 3m/s, and the lift travels a total of 30m.

2. Relevant equations
    So far I have p=w*s where p is power, w is the work done and s is speed in m/s. Substituting the known value for speed I get p=w*3

Then I have w=f*d where f is force and d is distance in m. Substituting the value for d i get w=f*30

Next I have f=m*a where m is mass and a is acceleration in m/s squared. So I get a bit stuck on this part, should a be acceleration due to gravity? in which case I would have f=(m+1/2m)*9.81...?

Then I want to put all this into one formula, so I THINK this is right..
    p={[(m+1/2m)*a]*d}*s

3. The attempt at a solution

which if i substitute in the correct values, the equation should look like this, with only the value of m being unknown...
    P={[(m+m/2)*9.81]*30m}*3m/s

Is that the neatest way to set out the formula, and have I gotten the right formulas? I'm fairly sure I've done it right, just wanted to double check. Thanks in advance for having a read =)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

So far I have p=w*s where p is power, w is the work done and s is speed in m/s

The above equation is wrong.
    It should be P = f*v, where f is the force applied and v is the velocity.

4. Sep 19, 2010 #3
    Okay thanks, so it should instead be - P=[(m+m/2)*9.81]*3 ?
    I thought there would be a difference between the velocity and the maximum speed given for the lift.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  5. Sep 19, 2010 #4
    One more question, if the value for M was known the answer to P would be in watts correct?

6. Sep 19, 2010 #5

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Yes.

7. Sep 19, 2010 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

The acceleration of the lift can be found as follows.

2mg - T = 2m*a....(1)
    T - mg = m*a.....(2)

Solvr these to equations to find a.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook