1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Winch Puller Statics

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It is known that a force with a moment of 960N*m about D is required to straighten the fence post CD. If d=2.8 (already replaced), determiethe tension that must be developed in the able of winch puller A o create the reuired moment point D.

Statics3.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    W=Fd
    Fx=Fcos(theata)

3. The attempt at a solution

Fx=TAB*sin(17.78)
    Fy=TAB*cos(17.78)

MD=TAB*sin(17.78)

960=TAB*sin(17.78)*.898m
    TAB=1122 N

Answer is:1224 N

but how?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2
    any ideas would be great!

4. Sep 14, 2009 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're looking for the torque, or moment-arm, about point D due to the rope tension. There should be a formula in your book to calculate this, it will involve force, distance, and an angle -- but it's not the equation for work that you quoted.

5. Sep 14, 2009 #4
    thats the equation for a moment about D

6. Sep 14, 2009 #5
    in my book it even stats that instead of putting the normal units for work I should put N*m.

7. Sep 15, 2009 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, exactly. You need the moment arm, due to the cable, about D. In other words, the perpendicular distance from D to the cable.

That's right.

8. Sep 15, 2009 #7
    Statics3-Work.jpg

I got .898 because that is the height of the pole. Since the force for the x direction makes the system go counterclockwise it is positive. The force in the y direction is non exsistent because it goes along the line of action so if i push straight down on the pole it doesn't move. The angle at A is the same as the angle of the force. So why doesn't my work work?

9. Sep 15, 2009 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Draw a line from D to the cable, perpendicular to the cable. That is the distance to use for calculating torque.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook