Calculating Maximum Acceleration and Speed for a 200kg Load with a 5kW Winch

• Thread starter furor celtica
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load Winch
In summary, the problem involves calculating the greatest possible acceleration and speed of a 200 kg load being raised by a winch with a maximum power of 5 kW. The correct calculation for the greatest possible acceleration is 2.5 ms^2, using g=10 ms^2. There is no error in the calculation for the second problem, which involves finding the greatest speed at which the load can be raised. The correct answer is 2.55 ms^1.
furor celtica

Homework Statement

A winch is used to raise a 200 kg load. The maximum power of the winch is 5 kW. Calculate the greatest possible acceleration of the load when its speed is 2 ms^1, and the greatest speed at which the load can be raised.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright so this is how I went about things: power=force x velocity, so upward force = 5000/2 = 2500. So net upward force = 500 N, so greatest possible acceleration = 500/200 = 2.5 ms^2.
I know this is incorrect, where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Were you expected to use g = 10m/s2, or a more accurate value such as g = 9.81 m/s2 ?

just g=10 ms^2

furor celtica said:
just g=10 ms^2

Then I don't see anything wrong with your value for the acceleration when velocity is 2 m/s.

on another site i got the same answer.
i guess its a typo, thanks for your time

alrighty now I've got an issue with ths second problem, finding the greatest speed at which the load can be raised
so greatest speed means the upwards force is equal to the downwards force, so the upwards force will be 2000N
power being 5000, speed is 2.5 ms^1
however the answer is 2.55, another typo or did i truly get it wrong this time?

1. What is the formula for calculating maximum acceleration?

The formula for calculating maximum acceleration is a = F/m, where a is the acceleration in meters per second squared, F is the force in Newtons, and m is the mass in kilograms.

2. How do I calculate the maximum speed for a 200kg load with a 5kW winch?

To calculate the maximum speed, you will need to use the formula v = √(2F/m), where v is the speed in meters per second, F is the force in Newtons, and m is the mass in kilograms. In this case, F would be 5kW converted into Newtons and m would be the mass of the load (200kg).

3. Can I use the same formula for different winch power ratings?

Yes, the formula for calculating maximum speed can be used for different winch power ratings. However, keep in mind that the force (F) in the formula will change depending on the power rating of the winch.

4. Is there a maximum acceleration and speed limit for a 200kg load with a 5kW winch?

Yes, there is a maximum limit for both acceleration and speed. This will depend on various factors such as the strength and size of the winch, the friction in the system, and the load's weight and shape. It is important to carefully calculate and test the maximum acceleration and speed to ensure safe operation.

5. How can I increase the maximum acceleration and speed for a 200kg load with a 5kW winch?

To increase the maximum acceleration and speed, you can either increase the power rating of the winch or reduce the mass of the load. You can also minimize friction in the system by keeping the winch and load well-lubricated and using high-quality materials for the pulleys and cables. However, it is important to consider safety precautions and not exceed the winch's capacity or the load's weight limit.