1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wind/Air Pressure Problem

1. Jan 23, 2008 #1
    Outside wind blows at 30.2 m/s. Assuming the inside air is stagnant, what is is the pressure difference between the inside and outside environments? Answer in Pa.

I know that pressure is F/A or Rho(g)(h)...but all I have is velocity! Help?

Thank you kindly!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

(This has got nothing to do with rho*gh.)

The wind hits the wall and transfers momentum to it, resulting in pressure.

What is pressure? Think about the relationship about force and change in momentum. Tell us your ideas first.

4. Jan 23, 2008 #3
    Pressure-force exerted on an area. But force relies on an acceleration, where here the wind speed is constant.

What principles rely solely on velocity?

5. Jan 23, 2008 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Do you know what the impulse of a force is? And any thing else related with it?

6. Jan 23, 2008 #5
    Ooh. Only vaguely. Impulse has to do with energy transferred in a certain amount of time? (If I'm wrong, my apologies. This was months ago.)

7. Jan 23, 2008 #6
    Sorry, change in force over a period of time?

8. Jan 24, 2008 #7

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

For a constant force, impulse = force*time. It's also equal to somthing else. If you read up just a bit, then the answer will make sense. Pl do that and come back here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?