Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wind and gas

1. Jul 24, 2015 #1
    Why do I fart more when I eat Beans?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2015 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

http://flatulencecures.com/baked-beans-fart

4. Jul 24, 2015 #3
    So how many farts would it take to power a motorbike for one mile? and would there be more energy in a smelly fart rather than just wind?

5. Jul 24, 2015 #4

Ryan_m_b

What do you think?

6. Jul 24, 2015 #5
    Not sure that's why im asking the question

7. Jul 24, 2015 #6

Ryan_m_b

How do you think you could find out the answer? Perhaps as a starting point you could look at the gases involved.

8. Jul 24, 2015 #7
    Propelling a motorbike using Hydrogen would probably be a little dangerous, but used in a confined space and strictly monitored, might produce good results.

What gases are produced when Hydrogen is burned?

9. Jul 24, 2015 #8

Ryan_m_b

2H2(g) + O2(g) → 2H2O(g)

In other words you get water.

10. Jul 24, 2015 #9
    Woww really? I think I am onto something here.

If you did a smelly fart in a bottle and opened it 1 year later. would it still be smelly?

11. Jul 24, 2015 #10
    Tell you what, Beans are truly a magical food, they could save the planet

12. Jul 24, 2015 #11

Ryan_m_b

Do you seriously believe that farts could be collected enough to fuel transport or are you just joking here?

13. Jul 24, 2015 #12
    Why not? Humans farting are destroying the ozone layer, if we could harness the gases and compress them into canisters, then not are we saving the world but also producing a gas that could power transport and also save the world.

I was just wondering how many farts would take to power a motor bike for a mile?

14. Jul 24, 2015 #13
    That's why I asked, does a smelly fart contain more energy than a windy one? Hence; eating more beans to create more smelly farts.

15. Jul 25, 2015 #14
    There is absolutely NO correlation between smell and power.

16. Jul 25, 2015 #15
    Methane (similar to natural gas from the ground), and not hydrogen, is the main combustable gas in a fart, it produces water and CO2 when burned.
    Internal combustion engines can be configured to run on mainly methane, however since natural gas is abundant there is no need to obtain an additional supply from biological waste of any kind.
    Hydrogen sulphide (also present in natural gas), is the main smelly gas, it too is combustable and produces water and SO2, (also somewhat smelly)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  17. Jul 25, 2015 #16
    Good news, Did a trial on the best beans to produce the best farts and it seems Aldi beans have the edge over Heinz beans. Methane gas is expensive to source, farts are many and free so will continue with me experiment.

Anyway have compress farts into a chamber and will try it out tomorrow with a model Grifter 4 x 4 model car, will keep you updated on the results

18. Jul 25, 2015 #17

Ryan_m_b

I've stopped believing this is anything but a joke.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook