Can wind chill cause frostbite at above freezing temperatures?

• Thread starter BradP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wind
In summary, wind chill is a measurement that describes how cold the wind feels, even though the wind isn't actually colder than still air. The wind's movement does not necessarily make it colder, as it can often be lower pressure than surrounding air. Additionally, it is possible to get frostbite above freezing temperatures if there is a strong wind chill, but this goes against the common understanding of frostbite only occurring when the skin or blood vessels freeze.
BradP
Two questions. I have read that wind chill is a measurement (or calculation, more accurately) that describes how cold the wind feels, even though the wind isn't actually colder than still air. What I am wondering is why isn't the wind actually colder? If it is moving faster it is lower pressure than the surrounding air, and thus according to the ideal gas law also lower temperature, right?

Secondly I have read on a few different sources that you can get frostbite above freezing temperatures if there is a strong wind chill. How can that be? Doesn't frostbite only happen when the skin or blood vessels freeze? I did not think it was possible for heat to flow from lower temperature body to higher temperature body.

Physics news on Phys.org
BradP said:
If it is moving faster it is lower pressure than the surrounding air
I don't see why. This is not in a venturi tube. In fact, if you held a tube open at both ends transverse to the wind I think you'd find the pressure in the tube would be lower.
Secondly I have read on a few different sources that you can get frostbite above freezing temperatures if there is a strong wind chill. How can that be? Doesn't frostbite only happen when the skin or blood vessels freeze? I did not think it was possible for heat to flow from lower temperature body to higher temperature body.
I agree with you - I don't see how this can be true.
This NOAA site http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/windchill/windchillglossary.shtml#frost is a bit confusing, but it does say clearly:Object will NOT cool below the actual air temperature.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is wind chill?

Wind chill is the perceived decrease in air temperature felt by the body on exposed skin due to the flow of air. It is caused by the combined effects of low air temperature and wind speed.

How is wind chill calculated?

Wind chill is calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the air temperature and the wind speed. The resulting number represents the estimated temperature the body feels when exposed to the combination of cold air and wind.

What are the dangers of wind chill?

Wind chill can cause frostbite, which is the freezing of body tissues, and hypothermia, which is a potentially life-threatening condition where the body's core temperature drops too low.

What is frostbite?

Frostbite is a condition where the skin and underlying tissues freeze due to exposure to cold temperatures. It can cause numbness, loss of feeling, and potentially permanent damage to the affected area.

How can I protect myself from wind chill and frostbite?

To protect yourself from wind chill and frostbite, dress appropriately for the weather by wearing layers of warm clothing, covering exposed skin, and avoiding prolonged exposure to cold and windy conditions. It is also important to stay hydrated and seek shelter if necessary.