Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wind Energy

1. May 31, 2006 #1
    Hi,
    With all the wind farms being put into production recently, does anyone know what the average size generally is. I see they are generally between 10-kW to 5-MW, quite a difference, so I would think the large ones can only be used in certain places and need to be spaced apart more - but I could be wrong, and they might be trying to install bigger ones everywhere.
    1/ What size do they generally use, and
    2/ how many Joules do they produce per day (on average).
    3/ How many pounds of air do they process to produce that energy.
    Thanks
    Links always welcome.
    Physics Dummy as always (but less so with more posts/answers!)

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2006 #2

Mk

Employed today are two kinds if I were to categorize them myself. There is the one-giant-huge-wind-generator, and there is the very-large-array-wind-generator. The one huge generators usually are out in the ocean somewhere off the coast of Spain, the Netherlands, or in the Gulf of Mexico. The very large arrays are a lot of smaller ones. They are probably a little bit taller than telephone poles? Both kinds are VERY loud.

4. May 31, 2006 #3
    It's the average sized one I'm trying to get the information on (?kW ?MW ?).
    Maybe there is an average for offshore and an average for onshore.

1/ What size do they generally use, and
    2/ how many Joules do they produce per day (on average).
    3/ How many pounds of air do they process to produce that energy.

Yes, I know air is generally a volume, but I'm trying to relate it to a weight dropping in gravity.

There is a force of air pushing the blades that could be measured in ft lbs.

I suppose I'm trying to think of it / translate it as a column of air dropping through a blade (or a blade dropping thru a column of air), and how long the column of air is on an average day.

Maybe I'm not getting anywhere on this one, so back to the drawing board. :uhh:

I am interested in the averages (onshore / offshore), and the Joules, and the volume per day.

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?