Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wind Farm

1. May 27, 2008 #1

MIC

There is a lot of talk about big projects to gather energy from wind. I have two ideas I dont see used that I was wondering about.

1. Using large stretches of canvas to redirect wind from a large cross sectional area to a smaller outlet, like some kind of wind nozzle. It would also form a low pressure area on the one side of the canvas which may also be utilized.

2. having multiple stages along a rotor or steel cable. Maybe with more blades on the rotor a larger generator could be used.

Just a couple ideas here, I am interested in what you think of these ideas, any other ideas, and where I could find more simulated or real models of some windfarm systems.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Cool idea about the canvas, but whatever structures you build will have to be very sturdy, and cost effective.

I live near the Altamont Pass in Northern California, and those hills are covered with a number of different types of windmills. The newest ones are much larger and designed to turn at slower speeds, to minimize smacking birds (they turn slowly enough for birds to dodge the blades). Here are some links to info on the Altamont Pass and wind farms:

http://www.google.com/search?source...z=1T4SUNA_en___US232&q=altamont+pass+windmill

4. Jun 11, 2008 #3
    plz tell me the desgin of wind turbine that output energy is 12V DC in our area the wind speed is near 10 to 15 km or above but at some time 5 or less so in this condition send the desgion of wind mill
    thanks
    panhwar2008@yahoo.com

5. Jun 11, 2008 #4

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note: when wind velocities exceed a value, for this example let us say 50km/h, the turbine rotors are feathered - ie., rotated so as to reduce the rotational speed. At some higher velocity, the turbine is taken offline.

I think a canvas funnel could exacerbate the above problem. Bernoulli effect. Plus the shape of the airfoil is pretty cleverly designed to maximize lift-to-drag ratios over a broad range of wind velocities.

http://www.awea.org/faq/basicop.html

6. Jun 12, 2008 #5
    how much cost of these products

7. Jun 12, 2008 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Alternately a funnel could allow a small high speed turbine to run efficently!

There is a similair wave power idea. Instead of having large low speed turbines to cope with a range of tidal flow rates - the incoming water fills a tank and compresses the air above it which then goes through a small high speed turbine, valves then switch the flow so the turbine runs in the same direction as the water drops and the air rushes back in.

8. Jun 12, 2008 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Keep in mind that simpler is better, and more direct is ... more better.

The more "handling" of the wind results in more energy lost to friction.

More components means more expensive to construct and maintain.

9. Jun 13, 2008 #8
    The other problem with the canvas funnel idea is how you turn it into the wind...

Plus how do you stop it blowing away in a gale...

10. Jun 13, 2008 #9

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Windmills in US $ vary from 550 -> 3000 for 12V DC turbines, depending on the battery storage system and other factors.

Most of these are small with rotors < 1.5m, and meant to be mounted above treetop height on a pole. A cheap one produces circa ~400 Watts 12V DC @wind speed of 30 kmh

11. Jun 13, 2008 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Plus the ecological impact on flora and fauna.
    And it would be an eyesore.

12. Jun 13, 2008 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Instead of building funnels to guide the winds, it might be a smart move to site windmills in locations (like a pass between a couple of large mountains) where the terrain accomplishes this for you at no cost. If there are reliable prevailing winds and you can get a decent increase in wind velocity, it would be a no-brainer. There is a lot of talk here in Maine about siting windmills on ridge-tops and the major objections in most cases are aesthetic in nature. Proposed wind-farm projects in the vicinity of the Appalachian Trail are always attacked because they would "spoil the wilderness". I wonder if the hikers would really mind looking over at a row of windmills generating clean renewable electricity? I think they would be happy to see that a segment of the population is working to achieve some independence from fossil fuels.

13. Jun 13, 2008 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I would mind. It shouldn't be shoved in our faces, as if it were the be-all and end-all of our existence.

14. Jul 17, 2008 #13

MIC

I havent been on in a while, I am new here and it is good to see one of my posts recieving a bunch of attention.
    It seems that it would be cheaper to have many small, faster spinning blades turning one big generator. It would help for mass production tasks, reduce the amount of copper for windings, and help with mechanical problems like harmonics.
    Also, instead of spinning the blades to slow down a large turbine in fast wind, why not make a structure which makes it possible to extract extra energy present in a large storm system? Maybe something to straighten the wind during chaotic conditions.
    It seems to me that we need to make improvements because we need to produce a lot of electricity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?