Wind-Powered Vehicle: New Idea & Input Welcome

• Automotive
  • Thread starter jaroadshow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vehicle Wind
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using a crossflow fan mounted on the roof of a vehicle to recharge a battery pack while driving. The efficiency and practicality of the idea is debated, with the conclusion that it is not feasible due to the laws of thermodynamics. The conversation ends with the thread being closed.
jaroadshow
Hi : I am new here but have been thinking about this for a while. I am attaching a drawing to hopefully explain my idea. I think a crossflow fan mounted at the rear of the vehicle's roof ( Accross the width of the car's roof ) , protruding partially above it and setup to allow air flow through it and escaping out the back of the vehicle just behind the blades will recharge a battery pack. I think if setup right, as you drive the blades spinning due to the airflow past the roof will recharge a battery pack through of course a generator and alternator system. I am not an electrician or electrical engineer, so I do not know how to properly set it up properly or if it would work but with the crossflow blades spinning on precision bearings and the proper airflow setup , I believe it has a chance.

Any input is appreciated.

jaroadshow

Attachments

• Diagram.doc
    29.5 KB · Views: 267
Engineering news on Phys.org
And you are geting the power to push the car through the air from where? It is scupperd because you are supplying the power that you recapure at less than 100% efficiency. This would actually be worse than running the car from a battery alone.

The whole reason wind turbines work is becuase the air is moving past it (whilst it is stationary). The wind is doing the work.

Do you think they would work as well if you were pushing them throuh static air? Obviously not, because you are doing the work to it.

As you can't get out what you put in due to efficiency, this is an example of a perpetual motion machine.

Airbus had thought to put wind turbines behind the tips of the wings to make good use of the wortex there and to get power even if the engines had stalled.

jaroadshow said:
Hi : I am new here but have been thinking about this for a while. I am attaching a drawing to hopefully explain my idea. I think a crossflow fan mounted at the rear of the vehicle's roof ( Accross the width of the car's roof ) , protruding partially above it and setup to allow air flow through it and escaping out the back of the vehicle just behind the blades will recharge a battery pack. I think if setup right, as you drive the blades spinning due to the airflow past the roof will recharge a battery pack through of course a generator and alternator system. I am not an electrician or electrical engineer, so I do not know how to properly set it up properly or if it would work but with the crossflow blades spinning on precision bearings and the proper airflow setup , I believe it has a chance.

Any input is appreciated.

jaroadshow

Welcome to the PF.

I think xxChrisxx has explained very well why this is not done. You can't get something for nothing. Thread is closed.

1. How does a wind-powered vehicle work?

A wind-powered vehicle uses the force of wind to generate movement. The vehicle is designed with a large sail or propeller that catches the wind and propels the vehicle forward. Some wind-powered vehicles also use the wind to generate electricity which is then used to power an electric motor.

2. What are the advantages of a wind-powered vehicle?

One of the main advantages of a wind-powered vehicle is that it does not require any fossil fuels to operate, making it a sustainable and environmentally friendly option. It also has the potential to be cost-effective, as wind energy is a renewable resource that is widely available.

3. Are there any limitations to a wind-powered vehicle?

There are some limitations to a wind-powered vehicle, such as the need for a consistent and strong wind source in order to maintain movement. This can be a challenge in areas with unpredictable or inconsistent wind patterns. Additionally, wind-powered vehicles may not be as fast as traditional vehicles, making them more suitable for shorter distances.

4. Can a wind-powered vehicle be used for transportation?

Yes, wind-powered vehicles have the potential to be used for transportation. In fact, there are already some prototypes and designs for wind-powered cars and boats. However, more research and development is needed to make them a practical and reliable mode of transportation.

5. What new ideas and input are welcome for wind-powered vehicles?

There are many areas where new ideas and input are welcome for wind-powered vehicles. Some potential areas for improvement include the design and efficiency of the sail or propeller, finding ways to store and use wind energy more effectively, and integrating wind-powered technology into existing transportation systems. Additionally, there may be opportunities to combine wind power with other renewable energy sources to create a more sustainable and efficient vehicle.