How does surface size affect wind pressure on a sail boat?

In summary: Happy EasterYou have to increase the velocity of the wind to achieve the same "pressure/push" as before.
jacques dichi
Hi forumers,

I've got a question,and of course all proper answers are welcome,
I think however a sailboat designer/engineer would quickly know
what I'm talking about.
I'd like to know what is the pressure/push of a 10 mph (16 km/h)
wind on 12,000 sq.mt. surface ,and how to figure this out if I change
the parameters ?
Thks. & Happy Easter
J.D.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can use Bernoulli's equation to calculate the stagnation pressure at that wind speed.

Thk. u Russ for yr. reply I'll try bernoulli as suggested - if he fails me - I'll come back to u

Hey,

It depends on the surface you are talking about. If it is a sail, then it can deform so that the velocity of the wind is practically zero on the sail surface. So Bernoulli's principle would hold good. But if it is a rigid surface, the wind will get deflected and the force is based on Newton's 2nd law. Besides, this value also changes with the direction of wind and speed of the boat(or surface) and compression of air.
Do let me know if you want a general equation for the same :)

sci-phy said:
Hey,

It depends on the surface you are talking about. If it is a sail, then it can deform so that the velocity of the wind is practically zero on the sail surface. So Bernoulli's principle would hold good. But if it is a rigid surface, the wind will get deflected and the force is based on Newton's 2nd law. Besides, this value also changes with the direction of wind and speed of the boat(or surface) and compression of air.
Do let me know if you want a general equation for the same :)

thks. for your answer. - I think according to it I might have misled a few people with the phrasing of the question or my comparison - sorry for that.
What I have is a 120m. span 3 wing wind turbine -approx. 12,000 m^2 surface - it does not deform like a sail and it is not rigid like a wall although when rotating it could be considered as such - and a 10 mph wind.
If I decrease the surface,how have I got to increase the wind in order to obtain the same "pressure/push" ?
Pls. bear with me,
Thks.

1. How does wind pressure affect a sail boat?

Wind pressure is a force that acts on the sail of a boat and helps propel it forward. The greater the wind pressure, the faster the boat will move.

2. What factors influence wind pressure on a sail boat?

The main factors that influence wind pressure on a sail boat include the speed and direction of the wind, the size and shape of the sail, and the angle at which the sail is positioned in relation to the wind.

3. How can wind pressure be measured on a sail boat?

Wind pressure can be measured using an anemometer, which is a device that measures wind speed and direction. Some sail boats may also have built-in instruments that measure wind pressure.

4. How does wind pressure impact the handling of a sail boat?

Wind pressure can greatly impact the handling of a sail boat. Stronger wind pressure can make the boat more difficult to control and may require the sailor to adjust the sail and steering more frequently to maintain stability.

5. Can wind pressure be dangerous for a sail boat?

Yes, wind pressure can be dangerous for a sail boat if it is too strong or comes from an unexpected direction. This can cause the boat to capsize or damage the sail and rigging. It is important for sailors to be aware of wind conditions and make necessary adjustments to ensure the safety of the boat and crew.