Designing a Wind Tunnel: Homework Assignment and Bernoulli Principle Explanation

In summary: You would probably get around half of that value, realistically.In summary, the conversation discusses the assignment of building a wind tunnel that can generate a wind speed of 20m/s. The material of the wind tunnel must be transparent and the Bernoulli equation is relevant to the project. The original idea was to use a standing fan, but concerns about its ability to reach the required wind speed were raised. Alternative ideas such as using a compressor were suggested, but may not provide enough air flow. The conversation also includes discussions about the design of the wind tunnel, including the use of wood and acrylic materials.
shinnsohai

Homework Statement

Recently I've been given an assignment
Build a Wind Tunnel(That can generated wind speed of 20m/s)
-Izzit the chamber(whole tunnel) must be sealed ?
-The material of the wind tunnel must be transparent(something like plastic?)on the test section??

Homework Equations

Bernoulli EQN
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/%E2%80%8Chbase/imgmec/bernoul.gif
Copyrights towards hyperphysics

Is there any relevant equation that I left out?

The Attempt at a Solution

Due to not enough money$$
I am planning to use ordinary standing fan to do so...but will it reach 20m/s ??
Just now at the lab, I've taken a stationary fan and test it with a anemometer
the maximum that i can get is 6 to 7m/s(tested just on putting infront of the fan)
http://www.tecpel.com/My%20Pictures/avm-702s.jpg

-Based on the Bernoulli principle, by decreasing the cross-sectional area it will increase the speed of air(or other flows). Perhaps it will increase the speed as the area close down

Currently Drawing the concept...To Be updated soon.:tongue2:

Sorry for the broken language
@_@

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To use such a tunnel, the fan has to establish some pressure difference to account for friction... but it might be possible.

Thanks for replying mbf
From what you wrote, I do think that the fan could actually establish a pressure difference as if the wind tunnel are totally closed and fan output is fixed closely on the input of the tunnel
But is it okay to use fan? due to the fan cross-sectional area kind ar BIG and to find a tube that fix the fan is quite hard, can't seen over the hardware shop.

I'd have an another idea...
Instead of using fan, can i just use a compressor ? but how do I covert the compressor's pressure to m/s ??
free-shipping-Car-font-b-air-b-font-font-b-pump-b-font-car-font-b.jpg

Something like this ??
But the output of this kind of compressor is so small
only few inch @@

I'm not sure if the compressor gets enough air flow for a reasonable wind tunnel. It is possible to get 20m/s easily with a small pipe, however.

due to the fan cross-sectional area kind ar BIG and to find a tube that fix the fan is quite hard, can't seen over the hardware shop.
Well, that is an engineering problem. Maybe you can use something like a box where one side gets the fan and the other side gets the tunnel.

I think , I could Predict the output velocity(that I wanted to calculate)
by using
Continuity Equation ??
as
ρ x A1 x V1 = ρ x A2 x V2
(Since the liquid/air density should be the same)
A1 x V1 = A2 x V2
So I Have Area 1 and Area 2
and of coz the Velocity at the beginning

Am I Using the Correct Equation for this case?
IM Still A Newbie in applying formulae to real cases

ρ does not have to be constant, but for most setups this should be a good approximation.
and of coz the Velocity at the beginning
Well, that velocity will be influenced by your pipe design.

BUMP!
Sorry for super duper late reply due to no internet connection:tongue:

Anyway I'd comeup with two design. which is better?
fan.png

I am thinking of it , the chocolate part is made up of wood?
will wood eventually works?(FINE wood boards)
wooden_board.jpg

something like this.

As if for the test part, it should be made up of acrylic(Perspex)

for the fan.

http://images.buzzillions.com/images_products/10/12/flowpro-q-standard-premium-cooling-fan-25in-2-3-hp-9500-cfm-model-11409_3197984_100.jpg
http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/flowpro-premium-cooling-fan-25in-2-3-hp-9500-cfm-model-11409-reviews#Description

With Air Delivery CFM 8,100-9,500
And The Volume of test area of 15cm x 15cm x15cm
I'll get the max of 70m/s?
is this for real?
By using the converter
air.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Your air delivery value requires the full cross-section of the fan - with your wind tunnel design, air flow will be reduced (as air pressure builds up behind the fan).

1. What is a wind tunnel?

A wind tunnel is a tool used by scientists and engineers to study the effects of air flow on models of objects or structures. It consists of a long, narrow tube with a powerful fan at one end and a test section at the other, where the model is placed. Air is blown through the tube at high speeds, allowing researchers to simulate real-world conditions and observe the behavior of the model.

2. How does a wind tunnel work?

A wind tunnel works by using a fan to push air through the tube at high velocities, creating a controlled and consistent air flow. The test section, where the model is placed, is designed to mimic real-world conditions and can be adjusted to change the angle and speed of the air flow. This allows scientists to accurately measure the effects of different air flow patterns on the model.

3. What are the benefits of using a wind tunnel?

Using a wind tunnel allows scientists and engineers to test and analyze the aerodynamics of their models in a controlled environment. This can help them make improvements and optimize designs, leading to safer and more efficient structures or objects. Wind tunnels are also important tools for studying meteorology, aviation, and other fields that involve air flow.

4. Are there different types of wind tunnels?

Yes, there are several types of wind tunnels, including open-circuit, closed-circuit, and cryogenic wind tunnels. Open-circuit wind tunnels have a single fan and the air is released into the environment, while closed-circuit wind tunnels recirculate the air. Cryogenic wind tunnels use extremely cold temperatures to simulate high altitudes and test the effects of low temperatures on models.

5. What are some real-world applications of wind tunnels?

Wind tunnels have a wide range of applications in various industries. They are commonly used in aerospace engineering to test and improve the aerodynamics of airplanes, rockets, and other aircraft. They are also used in automotive engineering to optimize the design of cars and improve fuel efficiency. Other applications include testing the performance of wind turbines, studying the effects of wind on buildings and structures, and researching weather patterns and forecasting.