Designing 3kW Vertical Axis Wind Turbine Blade

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a vertical axis wind turbine for a 3kW generator. The speaker has created a smaller 3D printable version to test before making a larger blade. The goal is to concentrate the force of the wind into one point to keep the blade rotating with inertia. The speaker is unsure if their concept will work and is seeking feedback. They also mention looking for a freelancer to help with blade design, but the responder suggests that it is a difficult and expensive process. They recommend a book for further assistance.
Akmalidin
Hi,

I am designing vertical axis wind turbine for generator with 3kW power. Prior to make big blade I have designed small 3D printable version to test. I want to concentrate the force of wind into one point by making specific blade .It would make the blade rotate even after wind passes. That point which is connection section of blade to the rotor of generator and it is made heavier. I do not know from mechanical point of view if my concept works in a way that I want. Please see the modeled blade and give feedback.

Thank you,
Akmalidin Alimov

Attachments

• 21291843_10214343217002764_1905479151_n.png
    21291843_10214343217002764_1905479151_n.png
    11 KB · Views: 479
  • 21325832_10214343218082791_146388187_n.png
    21325832_10214343218082791_146388187_n.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 501
Engineering news on Phys.org
Tracey3 said:
It sounds to me like you would like to create a blade design that keeps spinning with inertia which has its complications. Here is a link to another blade design thread, you might find some useful PDFs and comments on blade design there :wink:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/wind-turbine-building-tips.924222/#post-5832607
Thank you very much!
Do you do blade designs as well? I am looking for a freelancer.

Akmalidin said:
Thank you very much!
Do you do blade designs as well? I am looking for a freelancer.

Haha I would argue I am greatly under qualified for such job :DD Blade design is quite a tedious and lengthy process to get right so expect to pay a hefty penny. I had a chance to glance through THIS book at my teachers office and it seemed really rich and well written. It might be of some better assistance.

Likes berkeman
Tracey3 said:
Haha I would argue I am greatly under qualified for such job :DD Blade design is quite a tedious and lengthy process to get right so expect to pay a hefty penny. I had a chance to glance through THIS book at my teachers office and it seemed really rich and well written. It might be of some better assistance.
I see. Thank you anyway !

1. What materials are commonly used for designing 3kW vertical axis wind turbine blades?

The most commonly used materials for designing 3kW vertical axis wind turbine blades are carbon fiber, fiberglass, and aluminum. These materials are lightweight, strong, and have good durability against the elements.

2. How do you calculate the optimal blade length for a 3kW vertical axis wind turbine?

The optimal blade length for a 3kW vertical axis wind turbine is typically calculated using the following formula: Blade Length = (2 x Diameter of the turbine) + 5%. This takes into account the size of the turbine and allows for efficient wind capture.

3. What is the ideal shape for a 3kW vertical axis wind turbine blade?

The ideal shape for a 3kW vertical axis wind turbine blade is typically a curved, aerodynamic shape. This allows for efficient capture and conversion of wind energy into rotational energy.

4. How does the angle of the blade affect the performance of a 3kW vertical axis wind turbine?

The angle of the blade, also known as the pitch, plays a crucial role in the performance of a 3kW vertical axis wind turbine. A larger pitch angle can increase the torque and power output, but may also cause the turbine to stall in high wind speeds. A smaller pitch angle can prevent stalling, but may decrease power output.

5. What are some key design considerations for optimizing the efficiency of a 3kW vertical axis wind turbine blade?

Some key design considerations for optimizing the efficiency of a 3kW vertical axis wind turbine blade include the shape and length of the blade, the angle or pitch, the type and quality of materials used, and the overall aerodynamics and balance of the blade. It is also important to consider the wind conditions and speed in the specific location where the turbine will be installed.