Wind Turbine Blade Experiment: What is the Optimal Number for Maximum Voltage?

In summary, the experimental data suggests that 4 blades are the optimum number of blades on a wind turbine.
CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Not really a homework question but this is probably the best place to post it.

I'm interested in what people think about the following experiment and the wording of one of the follow up questions that came with it. It was set as part of UK GCSE Physics coursework for the 14-15 age group.

1. Homework Statement

The class was instructed to conduct an experiment that involved setting up a desk fan to blow air at a model wind turbine. The model turbine was connected to a small DC motor and that to a voltmeter. They were asked to change the number of blades on the turbine and plot a graph of voltage against number of blades...

GCSE Physics2.jpg

Three related follow up questions were:

3) How many blades do most full-sized modern wind turbines have?
4) What number of blades gives the highest potential difference in the experiment?
5) The number of blades which gives the highest potential difference in this type of experiment is sometimes different from the answer to Question 3. Suggest a reason for this.

Homework Equations

None. (This is a basic physics class not an aerodynamics class!)

The Attempt at a Solution

First two are straightforward.

Q3) 3 blades.
Q4) 6 blades (or perhaps "4 to 6 blades gives the highest potential difference").

My son asked me for advice on how to answer Q5. I can think of possible answers but they aren't expected to know these:

As I recall 3 blades are used for quite technical reasons to do with vibration or resonance but that kind of answer is too advanced for their age range.

Larger turbines are more efficient so need fewer blades? They aren't expected to know that larger blades are more efficient.

More than 3 blades would make the turbine more expensive for little gain? However their experimental data suggests 4 blades would probably be the optimum number.

Large turbines are optimised for maximum power not maximum voltage? (I think).

Is this just a bad question or is there a right answer for this age group that I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
CWatters said:
More than 3 blades would make the turbine more expensive for little gain? However their experimental data suggests 4 blades would probably be the optimum number.
That is the one answer I can think of that might be reasonable to expect. And is it not supported by the graph? If we assume that the primary cost of the turbine is the blades, we want a high voltage to blade ratio. It falls off markedly after 3.

Likes CWatters
Likes CWatters

1. What is the purpose of a wind turbine experiment?

The purpose of a wind turbine experiment is to study the conversion of wind energy into electrical energy. This is done by building and testing a small-scale wind turbine to observe its performance and efficiency.

2. How do wind turbines work?

Wind turbines work by harnessing the kinetic energy of the wind and converting it into electrical energy. The blades of the turbine are designed to rotate when the wind blows, which in turn rotates a shaft connected to a generator. The generator then converts the rotational energy into electrical energy, which can be stored or used immediately.

3. What factors affect the performance of a wind turbine?

The performance of a wind turbine can be affected by several factors, including the wind speed, the size and shape of the blades, the height and location of the turbine, and the efficiency of the generator. Other factors such as the design of the blades and the angle at which they are installed can also impact the performance of a wind turbine.

4. How can I conduct a wind turbine experiment at home?

To conduct a wind turbine experiment at home, you can start by researching and designing your own wind turbine using materials such as cardboard, paper, or plastic. You can also purchase a wind turbine kit or use household items such as a fan and a small motor to build a basic turbine. Once you have your turbine, you can test it by varying the wind speed, adjusting the blade design, and measuring the electrical output.

5. What are some potential applications of wind turbine experiments?

Wind turbine experiments have many potential applications, including studying renewable energy sources, designing more efficient turbines for commercial use, and educating students about energy and sustainability. They can also be used for research and development purposes, such as testing new materials or blade designs for wind turbines. Additionally, wind turbine experiments can inspire individuals to pursue careers in the field of renewable energy and environmental science.