Develop Wind Turbine Model for Electricity Generation

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of developing a wind turbine model for electricity generation. The main factors to consider are the local atmospheric conditions, power input, and various parameters such as wind speed, rotor size, power coefficient, and blade diameter. The use of Matlab and CFD are suggested as potential tools for creating the model, and additional resources for building a wind turbine are also provided.
Oseun
How do i develop a wind turbine model for electricity generation.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

The question seems too broad - could you elaborate on what you need or be more specific please.

Its a project topic i was given by my supervisor.He wants me to come up with a wind turbine model meant to be simulated taking the atmospheric conditions of my university as a case study

There are a lot of factors to consider, as russ said you'll need to be far more specific.

The turbine design will be based on the local atmospheric conditions and power generation will be based on available power input - which is answered by the first.

A model of what though. What parameters are you modelling?

Eg. You can develop a Matlab model using cefficient and variable inputs to give a theroretical output. You could use CFD with the conditions to get a profile of the interaction between the blades and the wind.

The list can go on almost forever.

The following parameters are to be considered; wind speed,height from the ground,rotor size,turbine swept area,power coefficient,air density,blade diameter,dew point temperature and others you might feel are necessary.

You can go to http://www.mindchallenger.com/wind
to see what goes into building a wind turbine. I have some graphs showing power generation at various wind speeds and rotor rpms.

you can then go to http://www.fieldlines.com which is a site dedicated to RE and wind turbines. If you go through the threads these questions are answered.

1. What is a wind turbine model?

A wind turbine model is a representation of a physical wind turbine used to simulate and study the process of electricity generation from wind energy. It typically includes a rotor, blades, and a generator to convert the kinetic energy of the wind into electrical energy.

2. How does a wind turbine generate electricity?

A wind turbine generates electricity by capturing the kinetic energy of the wind with its rotor blades. The blades spin when the wind blows, which turns a shaft connected to a generator. The generator then converts this mechanical energy into electrical energy, which can be used to power homes and businesses.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a wind turbine model?

The efficiency of a wind turbine model can be affected by several factors, including wind speed, blade design, turbine size, and the height of the turbine. Other factors such as air density, temperature, and turbulence can also impact the efficiency of a wind turbine model.

4. How is a wind turbine model tested and evaluated?

A wind turbine model is typically tested and evaluated through computer simulations and physical testing in wind tunnels. Computer simulations can provide data on the performance of the turbine under different wind conditions, while wind tunnel testing allows for more accurate measurements of the turbine's efficiency and power output.

5. What are the benefits of using wind turbine models for electricity generation?

Wind turbine models offer several benefits for electricity generation, including being a renewable source of energy, producing no emissions, and being cost-effective in the long term. They also have a relatively small land footprint and can be built in a variety of locations, making them a versatile option for meeting energy needs.