Designing Connector for Wind Turbine Blade Root

In summary, the student is trying to come up with a new connector type for wind turbine blades. He is taking into account how the connector should interact with other parts of the blade, how tight it should be, how much cohesion it should have, and how much slippage and friction it should experience. He is also considering how the connector should be able to withstand wear and tear. Any input is appreciated.
valley
Hi Guys,
I have a project to hand in before xmas. Basically I have to design a
connector for a Wind turbine Blade. ie the Blade root, the one that connects to the hub. for this I have to come up with original ideas, so I cannot use another current of previous blade root connector. I have to come up with a few designs and work from their.

so far I have the light bulb connector.( the one with the threads), but I don't want to use this as it some others are using it already.Here are a few things that I am trying to take into account with each design

Interaction with other parts
Tightness(play)
Cohesion
Slippage
Dry Friction
Shear
Cost

Any inputs is really appreciated, even if you think it is silly! I am trying to
brainstorm. so every little helps

thanks you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
how about a dovetail type connection where the shape of the blade root sort of slots into the hub. that's how steam turbine blades attach to their hub

gmax137 said:
how about a dovetail type connection where the shape of the blade root sort of slots into the hub. that's how steam turbine blades attach to their hub

:smile:

Good work mate. keep them coming if you have anymore ideas. Going to look
into that connection now.

thank you

On second thought i probably won't be able to use it, although it is not directly used in wind turbines, it is used in another type of turbine, which my lecturer might see it as using a connector type from a turbine.

thanks anyway

valley said:
Hi Guys,
I have a project to hand in before xmas. Basically I have to design a
connector for a Wind turbine Blade. ie the Blade root, the one that connects to the hub. for this I have to come up with original ideas, so I cannot use another current of previous blade root connector. I have to come up with a few designs and work from their.

so far I have the light bulb connector.( the one with the threads), but I don't want to use this as it some others are using it already.Here are a few things that I am trying to take into account with each design

Interaction with other parts
Tightness(play)
Cohesion
Slippage
Dry Friction
Shear
Cost

Any inputs is really appreciated, even if you think it is silly! I am trying to
brainstorm. so every little helps

thanks you.

Anyone please?

Right, in gas turbines, the turbine blades are connected using a dovetail arrangement that's commonly called a Christmas tree or some other clever variant.

What are some methods that you have thought up?

How about something from a Osprey or helicopter? Both have similar mechanisms since both have to pitch.

heli-main-hub.jpg

This seems like a foolish project so I will give a foolish answer. Make the blades of configuration where each blade locks into its surrounding blades causing the blades themselves to form the hub when all were assembled. Then you could put a simple band around the outside that holds them together.

Yup, after the first bird strike or over speed it will cause horrible projectiles everywhere, but hey he asked for something new that had never been done before.

No offense to you, but asking from something that has never been done before in a field that has been around for hundreds of years is foolish. If it has truly never been done before then there is a reason why.

Sadly, even my idea has probably been done.

gmax137 said:

Ah, so that's what that connection type is called. Learn something new 'ary day!

thanks guys for all your help, I have gone with a few designs now

thanks again

1. What materials are typically used in designing a connector for a wind turbine blade root?

The materials used in designing a connector for a wind turbine blade root are typically high-strength steel alloys, such as S355 or S690, as well as carbon fiber reinforced polymers (CFRP). These materials are chosen for their high strength-to-weight ratio and durability in harsh environmental conditions.

2. How is the structural integrity of the connector ensured?

The structural integrity of the connector is ensured through rigorous testing and analysis. Finite element analysis (FEA) is often used to simulate different loading scenarios and ensure that the connector can withstand the stresses and strains experienced during operation. Physical testing, such as fatigue and load testing, is also conducted to confirm the design's strength and reliability.

3. What design considerations are important for a wind turbine blade root connector?

Some important design considerations for a wind turbine blade root connector include the type of loading the connector will experience, the size and weight of the connector, the connection interface with the blade root, and the ease of installation and maintenance. The connector must also be designed to withstand the expected lifespan of the wind turbine.

4. How do connectors for different wind turbine blade sizes vary in design?

Connectors for different wind turbine blade sizes may vary in design in terms of size, shape, and material selection. The size of the connector must be proportional to the size of the blade and the expected loads it will experience. Additionally, larger blades may require more robust connectors made of stronger materials to ensure structural integrity.

5. How does the design of the connector impact the overall performance of the wind turbine?

The design of the connector can have a significant impact on the overall performance of the wind turbine. A well-designed connector will ensure the structural integrity of the blade root and prevent any failure that could lead to downtime and decreased energy production. The design should also consider factors such as weight and aerodynamics to minimize any negative effects on the turbine's efficiency and performance.