Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wind turbine spar design!

1. Jul 23, 2010 #1
    Hi guys,
    I am working on designing a wind turbine spar for a second year mech project. The spar has an elliptical cross section, is hollow and linearly tapered with a linearly varying wall thickness. The entire tower reaches upwards at angle.

My question is:
    if I want to find out the moment and shear at some cross-section at an arbitrary height L due to the weight of the tower, how do I best resolve these to a point load acting at the centroid of the cross-section?

My initial idea was to resolve the weight of the segment of tower above the cross-section to the center of mass of that segment, then determine the moment about the centroid of the cross-section. The shear would be the component of the weight acting along the face of the cross-section...

PS: I have my axes set such that the positive y axis is concentric with the axis of the spar.

Any input would be great. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2010 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your approach sounds correct.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook