Wind turbine

• Thread starter indistress
  • Start date
Hi, i'm having a little bit of trouble. I need to work out the amount of energy the wind provides at an average speed of 2.67m/s when the blades of a turbine are 0.5m in length? Also how would I use this energy in order to calculate the size of a reciporacting pump needed to pump a head of water 1m through 0.01m rubber tubing?

berkeman

Mentor
Hi, i'm having a little bit of trouble. I need to work out the amount of energy the wind provides at an average speed of 2.67m/s when the blades of a turbine are 0.5m in length? Also how would I use this energy in order to calculate the size of a reciporacting pump needed to pump a head of water 1m through 0.01m rubber tubing?
Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of your question? Is it for schoolwork, a school project, or a personal project?

Hi, thanks. It's a personal project for University.

You should first start with a simple thermodynamic calculation to determine the maximum amount of power available given the affective area of the wind turbine. You can then apply Betz's Law which determines the maximum allowable power a wind turbine can produce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betz'_law

You can then probably take about half of that value to ballpark the amount of power your turbine will generate assuming its a 3 blade fixed pitch variable speed design with an AC induction or permanent magnet generator.

What's are major? Are you an engineering student?

Cheers for the reply. I was going about it all wrong, all sorted now tho :cool:

Thanks