Calculating Wind Energy and Pump Size

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the amount of energy provided by the wind at a certain speed and using it to determine the size of a reciprocating pump needed to pump water through a rubber tubing. The speaker suggests using thermodynamic calculations and Betz's Law to determine the maximum power output of the wind turbine. They also mention that the conversation is for a personal project for university and ask about the other person's major. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking for the help and stating that they have now figured out the solution.
indistress
Hi, I'm having a little bit of trouble. I need to work out the amount of energy the wind provides at an average speed of 2.67m/s when the blades of a turbine are 0.5m in length? Also how would I use this energy in order to calculate the size of a reciporacting pump needed to pump a head of water 1m through 0.01m rubber tubing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
indistress said:
Hi, I'm having a little bit of trouble. I need to work out the amount of energy the wind provides at an average speed of 2.67m/s when the blades of a turbine are 0.5m in length? Also how would I use this energy in order to calculate the size of a reciporacting pump needed to pump a head of water 1m through 0.01m rubber tubing?

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of your question? Is it for schoolwork, a school project, or a personal project?

Hi, thanks. It's a personal project for University.

You should first start with a simple thermodynamic calculation to determine the maximum amount of power available given the affective area of the wind turbine. You can then apply Betz's Law which determines the maximum allowable power a wind turbine can produce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betz'_law

You can then probably take about half of that value to ballpark the amount of power your turbine will generate assuming its a 3 blade fixed pitch variable speed design with an AC induction or permanent magnet generator.

What's are major? Are you an engineering student?

Cheers for the reply. I was going about it all wrong, all sorted now tho :cool:

Thanks

1. How is wind energy calculated?

Wind energy is calculated by multiplying the wind speed by the swept area of the wind turbine and the air density. This calculation gives the theoretical maximum energy that can be extracted from the wind.

2. What factors affect the size of a wind turbine?

The size of a wind turbine is affected by the wind speed, air density, and the desired amount of energy output. The height of the turbine and the rotor diameter also play a significant role in determining the size of a wind turbine.

3. What is the relationship between wind speed and energy output?

The relationship between wind speed and energy output is non-linear. As wind speed increases, the energy output increases exponentially. However, there is a cut-out speed at which the turbine will stop operating to prevent damage.

4. How is the pump size determined for a wind-powered water pumping system?

The pump size for a wind-powered water pumping system is determined by the water demand, the head (vertical distance the water needs to be pumped), and the wind speed. The pump size should be large enough to meet the water demand at the lowest expected wind speed.

5. Can wind energy be stored for later use?

Yes, wind energy can be stored in batteries or converted into other forms of energy such as hydrogen or compressed air. This allows for wind energy to be used when there is low wind or during peak demand times.