1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wind turbine

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    i dont know if i am in right part of forum.

i want to build some sort of wind turbine for a school project. all the diy project are 6 or 9 coils with 8 or 12 magnets. the coils are on non magnetic board and the magnets on steel plate.
    why on steel, the steel plate increase the total power of generator, like concentrate the magnetic field? is not better to mount the magnets on non magnetic plate to?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I could see using smaller magnets and compensating by using steel plates to act as additional magnets. Not really sure though. Got a link to a DIY one?

4. Dec 6, 2011 #3
    this is an example. http://www.windenergy.nl/website/files/artikelen/AXIAL_FLUX_HowItWorks.pdf [Broken].
    my q is if seel plate increase or no the power of the turbine

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Dec 6, 2011 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

From the article it says the magnetic field lines are confined by the steel hub the magnets are attached to. This might be the reason. That and steel is strong and relatively cheap.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook