Wind-up motors large enough to move a small auto

In summary, a wind-up motor would need a high tension spring to work, and is not suitable for moving a large auto.
Kenneth Mann
I hope you will indulge me for a rather strange request, but does anyone out there know of any wind-up motors large enough to move a small auto. It doesn't need great capacity, but i am hoping for at least the capability to move the vehicle a mile or so.

Thanks,
KM

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've certainly never heard of such a thing. Dare I ask why you want such a device? It seems to me that a wind-up motor (I'm thinking 'clockwork' here) would need a spring under an incredibly high tension...

Very interesting, I have been thinking of constructing some kind of wind up machanism on my bike, so when activated it will help me brake and at the same time winding up and providing energy to help moving again.

Just Brainstorming:

brewnog said:
I've certainly never heard of such a thing. Dare I ask why you want such a device? It seems to me that a wind-up motor (I'm thinking 'clockwork' here) would need a spring under an incredibly high tension...

tumor said:
Very interesting, I have been thinking of constructing some kind of wind up machanism on my bike, so when activated it will help me brake and at the same time winding up and providing energy to help moving again.

To brewnog:
Mainly just brainstorming. - - - Tumor pretty well answers your question. I have a couple of ways to attach such items, if the items themselves are feasible, and available. If not, I probably won't waste too much more time thinking about it. Presently, the two methods of regeneration used (electric and hydraulic) have certain 'inefficiencies'. I just wanted to look at this as an alternative approach (or augmentation). Also, the spring wouldn't have need for an external 'wind-up', so this might make the approach a bit less risky.

P.S. As you've probably surmised; for my application, a mile is probably far more than needed, but that would be a desirable bonus.

KM

Devices such as these exist as you say with electrical regeneration (particularly on recent hybrid vehicles) but I reckon the hydraulic ones are the closest you'll get to "wind-up", although I'm not sure I've come across these! Can I assume that they work by means of an accumulator? If so, you'll have some kind of idea of the strength of spring required.

1. How do wind-up motors work?

Wind-up motors use a coiled spring that is wound by a key or lever. When released, the spring unwinds and rotates a gear, which then powers the movement of the motor.

2. Can wind-up motors be used to power larger objects like a small auto?

Yes, wind-up motors can be designed to be large enough to power small vehicles. However, the size and weight of the vehicle will determine the strength and duration of the movement.

3. How long does a wind-up motor last before needing to be rewound?

The duration of a wind-up motor depends on the size and strength of the spring, as well as the weight and resistance of the object it is powering. It can range from a few seconds to several minutes.

4. Are there any limitations to using wind-up motors in vehicles?

Yes, wind-up motors have limited power and duration compared to other types of motors. They are also affected by external factors such as wind resistance and terrain, making them less suitable for certain vehicles and environments.

5. Can the speed of a wind-up motor be controlled?

The speed of a wind-up motor is largely determined by the strength of the spring and the gear ratio. However, some designs may include a mechanism to adjust the speed by changing the gear ratio or the amount of tension on the spring.