Is It Possible to Charge an iPod Using a Windmill on a Car?

In summary, a high school physics student created a charger for their iPod that is powered by a windmill. They are unsure of whether or not the charger will work with AC current, but they are considering other potential problems. The charger would need an AC to DC converter and a cigarette lighter adapter.
LightningB0LT
I'm a high school physics student, so keep my limited knowledge in mind. Basically the other day I had the idea to create a charger for my iPod that's powered by a windmill, which I could attach to the outside of my car. I've never actually built a windmill before, but I'm pretty confident I can get one working. What I don't know, however, is whether I can charge my battery with the AC current the windmill will produce. Can you charge a battery with AC, or does it have to be DC? I'm sure there's also other potential problems that I haven't thought of, but I thought it was a cool idea so I decided to look into it. Is something like this even possible?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You would need an AC to DC converter first. I do not know if they make them at the small AC power levels you will be generated. You are going to need (12V DC at 1A according to the apple website). One problem I can think of is maintaining a constant frequency of the voltage going into the AC-DC converter. For example, if you drive real fast you will probably get greater than 60hz of electricity, but if you travel, say at 20 mph, you may only achieve 20hz.

I am not an electrical engineer so I can't give you 100% full-proof advice.

Most people just get an adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HH9AQ4/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If your car doesn't have a lighter, you can get an adapter for the USB port.

Or do you just want an excuse to put a windmill on your car?

Last edited by a moderator:
Without knowing exactly what voltage I'm going to generate yet, do they make AC/DC converters that would potentially work? And yeah, I wondered about the varying current too. Is there something l could buy to somehow regulate that?

And no, my car's a 93 so it doesn't have cigarette lighters. Otherwise that would have been my first solution lol

My car's a 97 and I got a lighter.

You can't answer your question without addressing the issue of voltage output. You may be able to generate DC current directly using a small hobby shop motor (with very little internal friction and magnetic resistance) and a very light propeller. You will not get many rpms unless you use a pinwheel like configuration.

I have had cars from 1963 to 2006 and they have all had cigarette lighter sockets.
It is fairly easy to add, they are sold in auto parts stores.

You should connect the cigarette lighter (12v socket) to the fusebox or if you connect directly to the battery use an inline fuse of 5 or 10 amps (or less) so you do not cause problems.

If you are generating power with a windmill when driving your car, the energy produced will be far less than the extra gas used because of wind resistance and losses. You might also have trouble attaching it securely so it will stay attached at highway speeds. using the car's electrical system and a ready made car charge cord is a better choice IMO.

I think the charging circuit is fairly simple with a voltage regulator and probably a capacitor or battery to smooth the power. but I would not trust it to charge a valuable thing like an ipod without damaging it.

an ac to dc converter is just a rectifier which can be 4 diodes arranged in a diamond shape for a full wave rectifier. You can also buy a rectifier which does it for you with 4 legs. While I do not think using a windmill on your car is an especially easy or inexpensive way to charge your ipod, it is good that you are thinking about it and learning about circuits and electricity

1. How does a windmill powered iPod charger work?

A windmill powered iPod charger works by converting the kinetic energy of wind into electrical energy through a generator. The wind turns the blades of the windmill, which then spins a shaft connected to the generator, producing electricity. This electricity is then used to charge the iPod.

2. What are the benefits of using a windmill powered iPod charger?

One of the main benefits of using a windmill powered iPod charger is that it is a renewable and sustainable source of energy. It also does not emit any harmful pollutants, making it environmentally friendly. Additionally, it can be used in remote locations where there is no access to traditional power sources.

3. How efficient is a windmill powered iPod charger?

The efficiency of a windmill powered iPod charger depends on various factors such as wind speed, blade design, and the quality of the generator. Generally, windmill powered chargers can be up to 30% efficient, meaning that 30% of the wind's energy can be converted into electricity.

4. Can a windmill powered iPod charger be used in all weather conditions?

While a windmill powered iPod charger can work in most weather conditions, it is more efficient in stronger winds. It may not generate enough electricity in very low wind speeds, but some models have batteries that can store excess energy for later use.

5. Are there any limitations to using a windmill powered iPod charger?

One limitation of using a windmill powered iPod charger is that it requires a constant and consistent wind source to generate electricity. If the wind speed is too low, it may not produce enough electricity to charge the iPod. Additionally, windmills can be noisy, which may be a concern for some users.