UV-Resistant Window Solutions for Your Home

In summary, the conversation discussed the search for a material similar to Plexi Glass that could be used for a window but does not absorb UV light. Suggestions were made for using polycarbonate with an ultraviolet light filtering coating and a scratch-resistant coating, as well as exploring other options through sites such as Ides and Mitsui. Ultimately, it was recommended to use Polymethylpentene as advertised by Mitsui.
RandomGuy88
Does anyone know of a material, similar to Plexi Glass, that could be used for a window but does not absorb UV light? Regular glass won't work, I am looking for something that will not easily shatter.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe someone can answer this better, but my current guess would perhaps be polycarbonate with an ultraviolet light filtering coating, and a scratch-resistant coating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I go along with that. Some combination of materials, in layers, is probably necessary; a laminate of some sort.

nvn said:
Maybe someone can answer this better, but my current guess would perhaps be polycarbonate with an ultraviolet light filtering coating, and a scratch-resistant coating.

Not understood, sorry! Please clarify:"Ultraviolet light filtering coating"?? To me that means UV opaque, right?

And if I were wrong (What? ME? The hero? Talk sense!:bugeye:) then there would be not much point to the polycarbonate, because it could only reduce the UV transparency. I have a vague idea that it yellows in sunlight, which if true, sounds most unpromising.
You might visit some sites such as
http://www.ides.com/

One product I saw in their search facility was at
http://www.mitsuichemicals.com/tpx_cha.htm

Of interest? Good luck.

Cheers,

Jon

Last edited by a moderator:
Jon Richfield: By "ultraviolet light filtering coating," I meant a coating or layer that blocks or removes greater than 0 % of the ultraviolet (UV) light. If it removes 100 % of the ultraviolet light, then you could refer to it as opaque to UV light, if you wish. But the word "filtering" is not limited to 100 % removal.

Do you mean you want it to transmit UV or just not absorb UV and be damaged?

When you say window - do you mean a 1" diameter entrance to an instrument or do you want to sunbathe indoors?

Last edited:
nvn said:
Jon Richfield: By "ultraviolet light filtering coating," I meant a coating or layer that blocks or removes greater than 0 % of the ultraviolet (UV) light. If it removes 100 % of the ultraviolet light, then you could refer to it as opaque to UV light, if you wish. But the word "filtering" is not limited to 100 % removal.
Fair enough; I wrote in a hurry and should have said: "UV absorbing" or the like.

I still am slightly nonplussed and I go along with NobodySpecial's remarks. Still, if what I have said covers your needs, that's OK.

The Mitsui site I offered referred to a very UV transparent material, which I now gather was not what you probably wanted, but the Ides site with its search facility should give you hundreds of hits within minutes.

Good hunting,

Jon

Polycarbonate is out. It is relatively non-transmissive to UV. Other than that, the shatter-resistance would be a good fit.

nvn said:
Now this is where hurry fooled me again; I thought I was talking to the originator of the query, who in fact was RandomGuy. That was the source of a lot of my confusion.
Well, no matter. My ultimate counsel is still that he go to the Ides site and use the search facility. Also, consider the Polymethylpentene as advertised by Mitsui.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of UV-resistant window solutions?

UV-resistant window solutions are designed to protect your home from harmful UV rays that can damage furniture, flooring, and other materials. They also help to reduce the heat and glare from the sun, making your home more comfortable.

2. Are UV-resistant window solutions expensive?

The cost of UV-resistant window solutions varies depending on the type of solution and the size of your windows. However, in the long run, these solutions can save you money by reducing energy costs and preventing damage to your home's interior.

3. How do UV-resistant window solutions work?

UV-resistant window solutions work by either reflecting or absorbing UV rays. Some solutions have a special coating that reflects UV rays, while others have a film that absorbs the rays. Both methods help to protect your home from UV damage.

4. Can UV-resistant window solutions be installed on any type of window?

Yes, UV-resistant window solutions can be installed on any type of window, including single-pane, double-pane, and even skylights. They can be custom-fit to the size and shape of your windows for maximum effectiveness.

5. Do UV-resistant window solutions affect the amount of natural light in my home?

UV-resistant window solutions do not significantly impact the amount of natural light in your home. They are designed to block UV rays, not visible light. However, some solutions may have a slight tint, which can affect the amount of light entering your home.